on 22 February 2018
My own children read, read and read this book. To the point of me groaning when they chose it AGAIN! They delighted in being able to choose their own friends, house, transport etc. It grew with them as their imaginations grew and they started to expand on the pictures or describe alternatives. I bought this copy for a friends little girl who I hope is going to enjoy it as much as my own children have.
VINE VOICEon 12 August 2014
I bought this book having been recommended it buy a friend who has children aged five and nine. My children are only two and three but have active imaginations so I thought I’d give it a go. It’s fantastic and it’s been an education for me to see which environments, clothes, friends and household items my kids would choose if they were given the choice.

I can see that this book will have a great deal of longevity too; initially we’ll use it for imaginative storytelling but I can imagine it will also be a good prompt/ inspiration when they have to write stories for school.

I’m so glad that I bought it, it really is a wonderful book.
10 people found this helpful
on 13 July 2016
An incredible success. A new and firm favourite.
You would be forgiven for wondering what the fuss is all about when you first receive this book... But my goodness, don't be fooled! My 3 and a half year old daughter is obsessed with this book. She loved it as soon as she saw it. It must be the novelty and power of being able to make up your own story each time and imagine and talk about the back story to each bit... It's not just the tower block by the sea that she is going to live in, 'it is that window there and that's our living room. You can live next door and this is what you can see. the woods are behind the house and that's where the tiger lives'. Brilliant book, buy it. Bought 'just imagine' for a 5 year old friend and an told that this is also a hit...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 February 2013
My little four year relative is absolutely obsessed with this book. The design of it is amazing, the illustrations incredibly stimulating and it is the perfect length to be able to maintain a little one's interest. She loves to read it through with an adult, where a great deal of her fun seems to come from trying to find out what THEY would choose. For someone like me, whose imagination has been in cold storage for twenty odd years, this is actually a rather mutually entertaining exercise.

My little friend is remarkably consistent in her aspirations. She's going to be musician when she grows up. A musician who dabbles in the odd bit of hairdressing and modelling on the side. She wants to live in the penthouse suite of an apartment block somewhere in the heart of the city. Her parents ( a knight in shining armour and Cleopatra's body double) will live there too so she can look after them. It's going to be a spacious home this one. It's going to have to be really, what with the trampoline, the swimming pool and the grand piano it's going to have to accommodate effortlessly. Along with the merry-go-round. Did I mention that? She's going to need some mighty understanding neighbours, that's what I'm thinking. Especially given the additional presence in her flat of an elephant, a kangaroo and a dolphin. Although it would be quite a brave neighbour who goes round to complain, given that she always equips herself with a rather sharp-toothed little dinosaur as well, specifically so it will 'stop people stealing her merry-go-round'. And even if it's his night off, there's always that crocodile. She'll probably have the whole block of flats to herself I should think.

When you factor in a rather dazzling array of possible methods of transport, a choice of food that would have kept Henry the Eighth busy for a month, a potential wardrobe to rival Shirley Bassey (and whoever her male equivalent may be), the pick of Imelda Marcos' shoe collection and a page full of really rather fabulous hats, this book is absolutely perfect for stimulating the imagination of anyone who comes within ten yards of it. Male or female, any age whatsoever.

I'm going to be an astronaut and part-time painter and decorator when I grow up... how about you?
6 people found this helpful
on 17 November 2016
We got this book when my youngest child was 2. He is now 8 and still loves going through it. It's one of the few books that we all sit down as a family and talk about each page. We play games where we make up stories together, or make up characters and lives for each other. I have bought it for so many children's birthdays and christmases. It really is a brilliant, fun book that encourages communication.
on 6 April 2013
All my grandchildren have loved this book. It has been a favourite for many years and they never seem to grow out of it. It gives endless scope for discussion on every page and I have just purchased my 3rd copy because I have started voluntary work as a reading helper in a primary school. This is a great ice breaker and an excellent way of encouraging shy children to discuss their likes and dislikes.
Each page gives choices as to the children's preferences for houses, food, transport, jobs, clothes etc. Once started children are quick to join in the discussion and a great deal of laughing ensues. The illustrations are clever, cololurful and inspiring but quite funny as well. Children think it hilarious that Grandma chooses Santa Claus as a husband or a tree house as her abode.
The illustrations also give rise to further discussions, i.e. forms of transport and healthy eating. Well recommended. You will not be disappointed.
6 people found this helpful
on 8 March 2017
This is probably the 6th copy of this book that I've purchased. My 3 children absolutely loved this book. It is a perfect book to encourage discussion (favourite foods, places we'd like to visit, which family members looks that person) and lots of giggles and merriment. I have since bought many copies for presents. It is definitely in my Top Ten of favourite children books. I love it.
on 5 July 2015
This is a wonderful book to share for many ages, from the moment your baby/ toddler knows how not to tear book pages up to primary school age. Great for discussion ( Which one looks like your house/ holiday? ) and vocabulary building. Helps your child to express their feelings or sense of humour- Granny sometimes looks like the princess and sometimes like the witch!! Fantastic range of subject matter in each double page spread. sometimes we create a story for ourselves and turn the pages to choose what happens next.
on 11 September 2016
A brilliant book for developing language and imagination. I use this all the time at school and have bought it for several of my friends' children. They have all loved it. It's great for children from 2-8 years and will keep parents and grannies entertained too.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 January 2018
Bought this for my 18 month son. He loves all the pictures and get so excited when we tell him he get it right. He brings the book to us himself to read it with his. I great learning tool in our experience.