on 30 August 2005
This textbook is perfect for anyone wishing to study GCSE Latin or equivalent, and complements the rest of the course. The book is well laid out, with good use of colour photographs/maps and has excellent introductions to areas of Roman history and culture at the end of each chapter. The course itself systematically leads the student through new grammatical concepts which are contained in well written pieces of Latin text and stories. The grammar section at the back is very clear and summarises all the necessary grammar and vocabulary well. An excellent way to study a fascinating language!
on 9 October 2013
I used these books at school in the 70's ( I say books but they were actually a large number of single stage booklets) but really didn't get much from the experience. I started relearning latin in May and used a lot of intensive courses, which got my grammar up to spec very quickly.BUT the Cambridge course is marvelous, very vocab based, and that is probably the most important aspect of a language. (You can't say much with grammar, but much with words)Syntax is dealt with in an effective and not over fussy way, just enough for the student to be able to read the texts. The series is aimed at secondary school students which is evident from the written style of the background information into the Roman way of life etc it's still very enjoyable for older students, either as a course per se, or as an enjoyable simple reader. I also bought the discs directly from Cambridge, my bedtime listening. My only negative is that two weeks after buying books 4and5, I lost them on a train between London and Liverpool. I was devastated. I don't live in the UK and will have to wait quite a while until I'll be able to replace them. The texts are available on the Cambridge latin course site. Online activities, but it's not the same as having the book
on 11 January 2014
The Cambridge Latin Course cannot be recommended highly enough. It is well laid out, fun, clear, and thorough. There is an index of vocabulary at the back and the grammar is dealt with clearly and fully. Each chapter ends with three or four pages of the life and times in the Roman era - anything from the army, Society, customs, Rome, etc giving valuable background to the story line earlier in the chapter. My husband is endeavouring to teach me Latin using this series and while I am not the sharpest tool in the box we are having fun and it keeps out brains active in retirement.
on 14 September 2015
Great book, great course. I'm using it to revise the Latin I did to O'Level a long time ago, and it's taking very competently to that level again, and beyond. Very interesting information about Roman world, and lively, story-like content. Thoroughly recommended.
on 25 December 2012
This is an excellent guide to the Latin language and Roman culture. It is well set-out and clear in the exposition of points of grammar.
on 24 July 2013
Like all the books in the Latin Course series the grammar is taught in an interesting and humerous so learning does not become boring.
on 27 June 2015
This Latin course, books 1 - 5 is extremely useful and interesting. Good for classwork or for working alone. Thoroughly recommended.
on 27 November 2013
First class language teaching book. Series has been going for over thirty years. You won't find anything better for teaching Latin.
on 28 October 2013
It is great to be able to re-use books and to get clean second hand copies quickly easily and at a good price through Amazon.
on 3 November 2009
I had to purchase five copies of this book for my wife who teaches Latin to a local U3A class.

The purchases were very easy and the books all arrived in well under a week