on 14 June 2009
If you've finish learning basics of Latin grammar but don't yet feel ready to tackle Roman Latin without a bit of hand holding, then you'll get a lot out of this collection of interesting excerpts.

The anthology is half poetry and half prose. All the pieces come with glosses which define unusual words, provide left-out words and, most helpfully, clarify the word order of the more complicated sentences. The glosses provide that all important help for those attempting the originals for the first time.

I am slightly disappointed that the prose has been adapted. Having checked the originals, all available on the web, it appears that some of the duller bits and some of the harder bits have been removed or rephrased. But that is not unreasonable given the target, GCSE-level, readership of the book, and despite the adaptation the voices of the original authors still shine through.
on 7 December 2010
I lead a U3A class for Latin for those in year 2 and beyond. This is the perfect introduction to classical Latin. There is text on the left hand side, and specific vocab. on the right. There is a general vocab. at the back.

All the principal authors are there, with the strange exception of the playwrights Plautus and Terence.

The book looks very good, is good to hold and fits easily into the pocket. It is very well supported through the Cambridge Latin Course website.
on 22 November 2000
This book has proved indespensible to my understanding of Latin literature. It is well-written, presented and is lucid in it's masterly exposition of the key Latin classical texts. I would highly recommend it to any student of GSCE Latin who is looking to attain a high grade. The co-author, Mr Philip Parr, is an accomplished and excellent Latin teacher and I can personally vouch for his wit and intergrity as i myself have personally benefited from his knowledge for 3 years.
on 21 November 2000
I found this anthology very intriguing, with its choice of texts and the additional vocabulary given. I believe that in this book, the authors, particularly Mr Parr, has shone through as an incredibly well thought out person, who has chosen the texts with particular care. I am impressed by the way he accompanies his careful texts with impressive teaching, explaining everything with in-depth detail to illustrate fully the meanings of the anthology.
[Review posted by a former student of Mr Phillip Parr]
on 8 May 2009
Salve! This is the best book I've ever read however, I think around 80% of it needs to be spellchecked as some of the words were a bit funny. I really love some of the characters, and I could really relate to Pyrrha. Definate 5 stars and I would recommend it to anyone else who is interested.
on 15 June 2007
The book proved extremely useful with an intriguing set of texts.

I am also a current student of Mr Parr, who has given the most enjoyable Latin lessons I have had.

JH
on 16 April 2013
Item fulfilled all needs to complete the course, it is an easy format to follow and clearly set out. Thankyou
on 12 August 2015
Truly enjoyable pieces from latin writers with helpful glossary. I love this book.
on 17 August 2014
Aroused my intellect! Great read in the mornings.
on 23 September 2015
It would be better with notes.