Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 October 2013
My daughter (age 10) asked me to buy this book on her behalf, using birthday money. As she's a huge fan of Jacqueline Wilson, I knew it was a good buy for her.

She was completely captivated by Diamond's often tragic story, and devoured the book in just a handful of days.

JW books aren't always suitable for younger girls, as they can be a bit too street smart or take them into the realms of teenagerdom and all the scary issues that girls of that age often face.

Diamond isn't like that; it's perfect for younger girls. And while it may feature often tragic scenarios like death, rejection and abandonment, there's also lots of fun and happy occasions to take the pain away.

I'd recommended this for pre-teen fans of Jacqueline Wilson.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Diamond, who is also known as Ellen-Jane, is sold to the circus by her father in disgrace. Life at the circus is very tough, and her master, Beppo the clown, is not making it any easier for her. A very kind lady named Madame Adeline (those who have read the other books in the series will know her) is warm-hearted and cheers little Diamond up quickly. Diamond is only eight years of age, and yet she is expected to perform numerous amounts of somersaults.

Hetty Feather comes to visit the circus. Madame Adeline is delighted and Diamond enjoys her company too. Not a long time later, Hetty joins the circus and lifts the spirits of many. But when Mr Tanglefiend, the circus leader, begins to make plans for the future, can the acts' careers change? What will the girls decide to do when they can't take it anymore?

This story spins you through the good and the bad times and sets you laughing with the main character, or giving her sympathy. Jacqueline Wilson continues with the wonderful Hetty Feather series, only now it is Diamond speaking in first person!

A most beautiful tale and to read this, it would be helpful to read the three books before this in the series. This is a truly stunning story for book lovers. I hope another book comes out after this one relating to Diamond as her journey is still to be continued.
on 26 September 2013
Diamond is an amazing book! It's about a little girl called Ellen-Jane, and Ellen-Jane tries to earn money by walking on her hands and like a crab. But then her father sells her to a circus man and the man changes her name to Diamond....

You may think that 'Hetty Feather' hasn't come, as the book says 'from the life of Hetty Feather'. Don't worry, she does come along! Diamond is such a good book, I could not even put it down.
on 10 November 2013
Amazing book I love it it is so interesting and I hope to read what happens next I recommend to any one that likes to snuggle up with a good book Hetty and Diamond are greater than any characters
on 21 October 2013
It was really good and I liked hearing about diamond as well as hetty but it just stoped quite suddenly and it's a cliffhanger. I would have given it five stars if it had gone on a little longer but the rest was really good and I would definitely recommend this book to anyone that likes the other hetty feather books.
on 10 November 2013
I loved the book and hearing about Hetty again I hope that there will be more about the two girls. I think girls around the again of 12 to 15 would enjoy this book
on 10 November 2013
This is a very good book 5 stars definitely I really enjoyed reading this book and I felt so sorry for some of the characters it made me feel part of the book
on 9 April 2016
bought for my 8 yo who loves the hetty feather series. came next day even though we ordered late with amazon prime - very impressed. Paperback was ok although as new, it had a few pages stuck together from printing but not a problem.
on 7 November 2013
This was a great book with great a explanation of circus life it was definitely as good as all her other books !!!!! :-)
on 10 November 2013
I really loved this book. Please make another one soon as the suspense is killing me!!! Great story for anyone 8+.