on 23 October 2001
As a Secondary Music PGCE student studying at Southampton University UK, I have found this book particularly useful. It's extremely well laid out and covers a lot of ground - from Classroom Management/Psychology to Professional Themes. It's helpful having access to a text with up to date information. Overall, an excellent book - a must for all trainee teachers.
on 2 January 2004
This book is a comprehensive guide for those who wish to undertake teacher training to become a secondary school teacher. Not only does it cover the main issues in teaching such as lesson planning and behaviour management but it also give a useful yet concise guide to other important aspects of teaching such as details on the national curriculum, the psychology of pupils and how to maximise learning for your pupils taking in to consideration different learning styles and abilities.
The most useful aspects were the suggested exercises and issues to consider in order preparing oneself for school placements.
on 28 September 2000
As a new PGCE Physics student I've found this book useful as a guide. Its easy to pick up and just read a small section that you wish to either study or to look at a specific problem. I can see it also being used as reference material during your first teaching postion.
on 13 March 2001
Fantastic book - the most useful one I've seen. Covers everything in detail and also has lots of questions so you can reflect on what you've read and how you would apply it. Good before, during and after teacher training.
on 18 February 2016
This is one of those books I probably should not have purchased. The reality is, if you know what you are doing, this won't help and if you don't know what you are doing this probably isn't going to be enough help.
on 8 June 2016
As someone who is new to teaching, I found the information in this book invaluable. It has so many ideas and useful information, and it is something that can be referred to over and over, as well as for quotations in assignments.
on 20 March 2014
I feel like it could be a little more concise in places, but it has helped me immensely on my PGCE year. I've found it particularly handy to scour some of the references, which has given me at least some direction for those oh-so-labourious and needless assignments we are given all the time.

I recommend it heartily!
on 25 September 2004
The book is of reasonable use, with tips and advice for student teachers as well as subjects that you are likely to study throughout your course. Useful for assignments too. It would have been better if there was a book for each subject that would relate examples directly to your specialism, rather than unrelated or vague examples. There are books related to english, maths etc but not all secondary subjects.
on 2 August 2009
This book covers a range of topics in good detail with clear and precise references. The book was recommended by Birmingham City University to me for my PGCE course (Starting September '09) and has already helped me through a diagnostic assignment.
on 31 January 2014
I have say that there are some helpful nuggets of information in this book and if you read it cover to cover I think you would learn something however I had to buy this book as I needed It for my PGCE. I read sections looking for quotes for my essays, other than that is was a great bag weight!