on 30 August 2014
I hear so much rubbish about Chris Froome. OK. I'm not a fan and he isn't quite my cup of tea. He doesn't have the glamour or mystery of a Contador, Nibali, Anquetil or a Merckx. But I tell you what. He is a man of huge depth and wide interests. His experiences growing up in Africa as a white boy amongst the black population is intriguing. Here is a man who sees his fellows as fellow humans, not as members of other races. Here is a man who appreciates nature. He knows about snakes, wild animals and all manner of things. He's not a one-track-minded individual. He's got more humanity, common sense, intelligence and goodness than most of the people who post rubbish about him on forums. These qualities shine through his book and turns him from simply a cyclist to a great character. Loved the book. It made me appreciate him so much more. And, before you say anything else, it puts to bed the lie that the trolls on the internet keep repeating about drug use. The man's clean as a whistle. I'm still not a fan. But I do appreciate him. And so should you.
33 comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2014
Having read several cycling books over the last couple of years. I find Chris's autobiography a compelling read and full of great factual comments. It gives a great insight into a young wannabe cyclists world being brought up in Africa and coming up through the ranks and difficulties that professional cycling brings with it.

I would definitely recommend this book to cyclists and would be cyclists. It enlightens you with the push that is required to be the best.
on 17 May 2015
I was lent this book by a fellow cycling enthusiast and couldn't even be bothered to pick it up for ages as I thought Froome was boring. How wrong can you be! It is fascinating and inspirational from start to finish. I would recommend this book to anyone, cycling fan or not. It tells you so much about the highs and lows, struggles and joys of following your own dream. And how treacherous some people can be too.
on 10 November 2015
If this book was made into a film and you watched it you wouldn't believe it. It is just amazing that a young cyclist from an African village could the leader of top professional team.I enjoyed the whole book right from his childhood in Africa to winning the Tour de France.
The high points were his entering the under 23 World championships from Kenya as the sole manager/mechanic/cyclist, his dedication in training, finishing the TDF in 2008 despite being part of a poor Barloworld team and most of all his relationship with Bradley Wiggins.
In-team rivalries are horribly fascinating whether it was Bartali/Coppi, Hinault/Le Monde, Armstrong/Contador or Froome/Wiggins. The Sky team do not make many mistakes but one was the team not supporting the in form and race leader Froome in the Vuelta in 2011. Instead Froome was ordered to ride for Wiggins and could only finish second with Wiggins third.
Some questions remain,why was Wiggins not selected for the 2014/5 TDFs.
Froome always comes across as a gentlemen and this book is in that frame, I couldn't put it down.
on 21 December 2014
Before I read this I had a very different picture in my head of the kind of guy Froomey is. I took time to warm to him as a character based on the newspaper's version of the man. Having read this I may still not know The Real Chris Froome, but I certainly like and respect the guy in the book a whole lot more.
on 3 August 2014
Fantastic insight to professional cycling. Enthralling book - couldn't put it down - what a gentleman ! Bravo Chris
on 15 January 2016
Wasn't sure what I expected when I started to read this biography of Chris Froome's journey from Africa to a Parisian podium.
His experiences underpin the notion that if you want something badly enough, work hard enough, you're in danger of achieving your goal.
Disappointed to read about Bradley Wiggins' behaviour. After 2012 my opinion about him had changed from negative to positive. It seems on reflection my first instincts were correct.
on 27 September 2015
Love cycling and
Especially the tour de france thanks to Chris Boardman. I watched the tour in 2012 and wanted to know how Bradley Wiggins won and why Chris Froome takes the pressure of the tour and then has no credit from the winner. This book for me was brilliant and also bitterly honest about his struggles and illnesses a less person would of give you. Great read and you will end up if you don't already hero worship Riche Porte and the other sky team members of the tour. Enjoy.
on 18 August 2015
I must confess I am not a great fan of autobiography/biographies of people younger than me (lots more than there used to be it has to be said!).
However this is different. Chris Froome has a lot to tell of his 30 or so years, so far. It is a great story of triumph against the odds.
A boy who grows up in Africa and becomes the winner of Tour de France; its almost a fantasy story. Chris Froome and his co-writer pen the narrative in an easy to read style that keeps you turning the page.
Its a very inspiring tale and well worth reading.
on 3 August 2014
Fantastic, really enjoyed it. Good read even for a non cyclist like myself. There's excited, tear and laughter. Would recommend.