Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 May 2014
I rode over the Connor Pass at age 61 after reading a couple of chapters of tim's great book. I wasn't laughing when I made it to the top. This man will cripple you if you give him a chance - laughter or coronary, it's up to you.
on 7 May 2014
Ever since reading 'Frost On My Moustache' over a decade ago, I have eagerly awaited each new book from Mr Moore and this is no disappointment. Part travelogue, part record of athletic achievement and part work of history, it is chock-full of self-deprecating humour and fascinating information. I devoured it over a weekend. Hugely recommended.

Forza Tim!
I've always thought that long-distance cyclists are the greatest athletes and reading Gironimo by Tim Moore has convinced me. To ride round Italy on the route of the 1914 Giro d'Italia is no mean feat, but to do it on a vintage bike with reproduction clothing from the period is an amazing feat

Tim already amazed his readers by cycling the route of the Tour de France (recorded in his book French Revolutions) but Gironimal describes roads and mountains which seem to be even worse, and with the addition of the immense heat (40+ degrees Centigrade) and the ongoing problems of his ancient bike, I could only admire his great stickability which kept him going day after day until he arrived back at his starting point 400 kms later.

There are three things which make this a fantastic read

1. The combination of Tim's ride with frequent flash-backs to events on the original 1914 tour - of interest to anyone who is interested in the limits of human endurance;
2. The travel aspects - this is a real tour of Italy and we learn much about the geography and culture of the country along the way;
3. Tim's huge sense of humour which pervades the book and makes it not only very interesting but also very funny.

I can't imagine how Tim managed to complete this ride - at times he appears to have been in the depths of hell, on the verge of losing his mind with despair and exhaustion. Yet he managed to find the inner reserves to keep going. I love the way that at the end of his epic ride he finds the acclaim he richly deserved, but in a very unexpected way.

I've read all Tim Moore's book, but this is the best. Buy it and see what travel/sport writing is all about.
VINE VOICEon 3 June 2014
I caught a couple of episodes of Gironimo! on Radio 4 and had to stop myself from listening to any more and buy the book. I giggled and snorted my way through the 300-odd pages in one very late night and a couple of red-faced, teary-eyed train journeys. This is not quite, erm, man and machine in perfect unison, but rather adventures and more often than not, misadventures of a bumbling, eccentric Brit on his ancient deathtrap of a bicycle, all recounted with great humour (and that slight tinge of madness after a long day in the saddle).

It is also quite moving in places, Tim obviously has a lot of affection for the hardy boys of the 1914 Giro, most of whom went on to never win a race or a stage again, some killed in the war not long after, all long dead. He brings the ghosts of those riders to life vividly, as he wobbles about in their tyre tracks in a long forgotten edition of the Giro.

Absolutely and wholeheartedly recommended to anyone who loves cycling and is in need of cheering up! Off to read French Revolutions now in antcipation of Le Tour.
on 14 May 2014
Normally I'd only reserve heading into central London for a Monday shopping trip to buy a CD on its first day of release (yeah, I know) but I made an exception for Gironimo! Then I realised it was a fiver cheaper on Amazon, and as I've got my own knackered vintage bike (ok, from 1990) to repair, I waited patiently for the postman to deliver Mr Moore's latest, and save me a few quid. It was worth the wait. Tim Moore is the only author worth looking like an idiot on the 7.31 to Charing Cross for, as I laughed and snorted my way through the book each day. Another excellent edition to the growing list of fantastic cycling literature by the likes of William Fotheringham, Richard Moore and Ned Boulting, which is topped by the mighty French Revolutions by the same author.

It'll restore the faith of those of us that have copies of Not About The Bike staring shamefully down from the bookshelves.
on 7 June 2014
Hilarious, as always. A really well-written book - lively, engaging, knowledgeable and laugh-out-loud-in-a-public-place funny. Tim Moore really does like to make life painful for himself!
Please do read this book - I guarantee you will enjoy it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 June 2015
This remarkable account of a middle-aged (well 48-year old) amateur cyclist completing the 3,300km 8-stage Giro D’Italia course of 1914 on 'period machinery’ is my first taste of Tim Moore’s writing and it certainly won’t be my last. As the cover blurb hints, Moore’s writing is reminiscent of (a more profane) Bill Bryson at his best – the closest comparator to Gironimo probably being Bryson’s challenging Appalachian Trail book, A Walk In The Woods. And, the initial stages of Moore’s account, as he tries to reconstruct the 'period bike’ to be used on reliving the 1914 race, are full of Brysonesque (and typically male) geekiness, but it is, of course, the physical scale of Moore’s challenge which makes it near-unique in terms of 'travel writing’.

As well as being genuinely laugh-out-loud funny, in parallel with his own exploits Moore charts the progress (which would make an astonishing book in its own right) of the actual 1914 Giro competitors – of which over half of the 81 starters did not make it past Stage 1 and only eight survived the entire race! Along the way, Moore also gives us an entertaining and intriguing glimpse into the Italian psyche (see Tim Parks’ writing for more on this subject) and evocatively conveys the country’s love for, and long history of, this most addictive of endurance sports.
on 6 May 2014
Another cracking read from Tim Moore - an incredibly funny read about what happens when a middle aged bloke decides to try and ride the course of the hardest Giro ever on an antique bike

I haven't enjoyed a book this much in a long time
on 30 May 2014
I originally only caught first three episodes on BBC R4's Book of the week.... Made me laugh out loud. I had to have the whole book !!!
I love the way Tim interweaves his own personal odyssey with flashbacks to the Giro of 1914. The self deprecating and hilarious style of writing he employs only heightens the noble endeavours of a middle aged suburban male actually achieving what the rest of us secretly wish to try.
As a child of Hillingdon in the1960/70s I loved the detailed references to backstreet artists in metal, leather and paint in Hanwell, Ealing and Uxbridge.
However this book is not just a middle aged blokey story. It succeeds on so many levels, from poignant descriptions of the state of the Italian rural hinterland and it's often stunning beauty/desolation, the crippling poverty that led the original racers to compete and the unavoidable analogy to post eco crisis Italy today. All this done with such a deft touch that I found the book a total page turner. I have recommended Gironimo to my son (Who's just brazed his first road frame) and my wife (Who hates cycling/loves Italy)!
In Short this book is for everybody..... Man, Woman Boy or girl with a free spirit and a wry sense of humor.
Thank you Tim... Most fun I've had reading since Cider with Roadies and that's a big complement!!!!!
Now where did I put my Gas torch?
on 25 February 2015
If you liked French Revolutions, you'll like this, too. When Tim Moore is on form, he makes me laugh so much I have to put the book down, and there were several such incidents with this epic tale. It's not just laughs, though - he brings the story of the almost unbelievably tough 1914 Giro to life in a very accessible way. Highly recommended - and I'm not even a cyclist!