Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 January 2014
This is the 3rd of Julia Donaldson's books I have bought for my son. I find them a great addition to the little books he brings home from school - possibly a little more stretching and often more fun.

To be perfectly honest my boy isn't always that pleased to be asked to read these (or any other) books, but once he gets started we both enjoy the stories which are always engaging and work on specific areas for phonics development.

The books are well put together and should last a good long time, likely with many readers after we have finished with them. The illustrations (while not quite up to the excellent standard set by Axel Scheffler of Gruffalo fame) are a nice counterpoint to the stories.

Recommended.
on 17 March 2013
I purchased this book for my daughter aged 5 ... She loves it as does my son aged 3. The stories are funny and interesting and when the children are able .. They will be able to read them themselves. I would recommend this book
on 9 June 2015
We are working our way through this series. Absolutely love these books. They have really helped my son and given him confidence in his reading. The way that they are set out is just perfect and the illustration are brilliant. I cannot fault these books at all.
on 11 December 2012
On the whole I think the Songbirds series is better than the traditonal ORT series and way, way better than the awful Rigby Stars my daughter brings home from school. I was rather shocked, though, that in this particular book, I saw the word 'fishes'. I do think that a reading scheme should be using correct plurals.
on 16 November 2014
I bought the whole series from level 1 to level 6. Good fun books to help our 4 year old read (level 1). They follow the national curriculum so you can give your child extra help with their reading without compromising what they are already learning. Great stories as you'd expect from Julia Donaldson.
on 16 November 2014
on 26 February 2014
These are the best reading books to support phonic reading. I buy these for my son to read to me at home to support what he is learning at school. He loves the short stories and in each book we have had he has had favourites.

Highly recommended.
on 31 March 2014
I chose to buy this book for my 4 year old son because he loves reading. He is currently on the level 3 and is reading it easily so wont be long before he is on this level. I would definatly recommend these books to all parents to help their children's reading.
on 15 February 2014
Daughter who is four has a great time reading them to us. Fun and interesting. They encourage her to read and she is happy to go back and read them again. She enjoys the stories and we like to listen to them over again.
on 15 October 2013
These are really great books for getting the kids to enjoy reading, and they match exactly the school curriculum, which means you can give your child extra help with their reading without compromising what they are already learning. Also has tips for parents in how to read them and the areas of learning they cover.