Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Hattie Bright is a ten year old girl who is having a disappointing birthday. Her parents are busy vets and rush off to work without even seeming to remember her special day. Her teenage brother Peter is, obviously, in his room (where all teenagers lurk) and even her best friend Chloe seems to have deserted her. However, what starts out as a disaster improves when a magical present arrives on the doorstep. Suddenly, Hattie is falling through into the magical land of Bellua, where her Uncle B appears. He has been the guardian of this beautiful place and it is time for him to hand over his guardianship to Hattie.

Her first patient is a tiny pink dragon called Mith Ickle, who has lost her voice and her fire. With the use of a magical book and a map, Hattie must head into this most surprising land - full of magical creatures such as unicorns, trolls and fairies - and help to make her new friend better. However, Bellua is under danger from the evil Ivar, King of the Imps, who wantsto become the Supreme Rulerof the Kingdom of Bellua. He is collecting power from the magical creatures and Mith Ickle is his first victim. It is Hattie's job to help save not only Mith Ickle (a terrible pun and an irritating name to read aloud...) but Bellua itself.

This is obviously the first book in a series and, as such, the main purpose of the book is to introduce the characters and places that Hattie will visit - both at home and as the new Guardian. I felt some of the story was a little rushed. Uncle B suddenly appeared, for example, threw Hattie in at the deep end and then disappeared. On the plus side, this will appeal to children who enjoy magical lands. animals and my daughter liked the character of Hattie - who was a strong and brave little girl. This is not the best book I have read to my daughter and felt a little formulaic in places, but it has the possibility of developing into an interesting series with lots of exciting adventures ahead for Hattie.
on 31 July 2014
As mentioned in previous reviews this is a very magical book, the first of a new series about a very special little girl, Hattie B who discovers she is to become the new Guardian of the magical creatures of Bellua. It is a beautifully written story that will capture the imagination of both girls and boys.The story unfolds to introduce us to a little pink dragon who becomes her faithful friend and guide in Bellua. Through the excellent writing and beautiful illustrations you are magically whisked away to Hattie B's secret world and get meet other mythical characters along Hattie's journey as a vet to all the magical creatures that live in Bellua. Hidden within the story It also deals sensitively with issues like bullying, friendships and overcoming fears. Working in a school it is lovely to witness some of our more reluctant readers become engrossed in the story. I predict that this is going to be a very well worn set of books in our school library! Having read all four books so far published myself, I can't wait for number 5 to make its way to the bookshelves. I wonder which creatures we will be introduced to next!
The Dragon's Song is the first book in the brand new Hattie B, Magical Vet series all about ten-year-old Hattie and her adventures in the magical kingdom of Bellua. There Hattie meets all kinds of amazing creatures who need her help, and she puts her veterinary knowledge to good use when she can!

In The Dragon's Song, Hattie first discovers Bellua on her tenth birthday. Sad that her friend won't be around for the day, she soon perks up when she receives a parcel containing a silver bracelet and a vet's bag. Soon she is whisked away to Bellua where she meets Mith Ickle, a little pink dragon whose voice has been stolen by King Ivar. It's up to Hattie to find the medicine to fix Mith, but along the way she encounters trolls and imps that may not be all they seem!

I love the premise of this book and the fact that it features creatures from fantasy. Unicorns, fairies, dragons (my favourite) and trolls are just a few of the species Hattie sees, though I'm sure there are plenty more living in Bellua. There are also some excellent illustrations that bring the characters and world to life. I love them all!

Aside from being about fantastical creatures, The Dragon's Song is also about friendship and how it's not always right to jump to conclusions. This book reminds me of a younger Chronicles of Narnia, and I'm sure it will appeal to a wide range of readers. There's something for everyone in the Hattie B, Magical Vet series and I'm looking forward to continuing it with The Unicorn's Horn!
on 29 April 2015
These are a fantastic set of books for young readers. The main character is courageous, intelligent, friendly and kind. In fact everything that you would want a role model to be. The stories are full of magic and amazing creatures, which my four year old loves, the evil character is not too dark either. I love these books because the stories are so wholesome, no one is being really horrid, or resorting to toilet humour.
I have also bought these books for my school library and they are extremely popular. They are all waiting for the sixth book to come out.
Hi, This is my daughter Natascha's review:
I loved Hattie B! She is 10 years old and loves animals of all shapes and sizes. She is upset that everyone seems to have forgotten her birthday, sadly even her best friend Chloe! But then after an intriguing and strangely marked gift lands on her doorstep she finds herself the new guardian of the kingdom of Bellua and she has to help and find cures for many mythical and magical creatures including dragons, unicorns, fairies,mermaids,trolls and pegasus', along with battling the evil King Ivar of the Imps who will do anything he can to steal all of the creatures magical powers and stop Hattie. Hattie also finds a special new friend in the very gorgeous pink dragon Mith Ickle who I love and everyone else will too! Hattie is not a girly girl, she is very cool and likeable, there's no pink and glitter to be seen, Hattie wears t-shirts, jeans and converse pumps.
These books are for 7 years and up and aimed at girls but I think will appeal for any reader whatever age or female or male as there is lots of adventure, peril and excitement.
on 26 August 2014
WOW! This is a perfect book for kids. My 5 and 12 year old have been sharing the story at bedtime following the adventures of Hattie B in her magical kingdom. As a teacher, I have also used this book in school within our imaginary world narrative unit. All the children have loved the work and bonded with the characters. Hattie B deals with bullying, self esteem and friendship issues in a really positive manner. I was initially concerned whether or not the boys would share the enthusiasm for a girl protagonist, but I shouldn't have worried. The boys loved the mythical creatures and definitely conquering the evil imp king.
A super read for children (and parents!).
on 17 August 2015
We have bought two Hattie B books for our 7-year-old daughter. She loves animals and is really keen on Hattie B and her adventures, which is why I am giving it two stars rather than one. As the parent reading these books to her, I find them excruciating. The writing is appalling; it chops and changes between being incredibly simple and over-complicated. Some authors have a knack for using language that flows and rolls off your tongue. Not so the author of Hattie B. One of the main characters is a small mythical creature (a dragon) called 'Myth Ickle' - see what she did there? Not only is it a silly pun (in my opinion), but it's also a tricky name to read over and over (and over, and OVER), as your brain just wants you to read 'MYTHical' rather than 'myth-ICKLE'. The stories are not too bad, if rather patronising, but the language is what really lets these books down. I can only imagine that whoever edited this book slept through it or is Taylor-Smith's mum.
on 18 July 2014
This is a delightful children's story for kids aged between about 6 and 8. Hattie is about to celebrate her 10th birthday when a mysterious veterinary bag transports her to the magical kingdom of Bellua. There she learns her destiny - she is a guardian tasked with looking after the magical creatures of the land. Hattie takes no nonsense and is a wonderful female protagonist. She is a kind and caring little girl, but isn't afraid of standing up for her friends and trekking up steaming volcanoes!

There are countless children's books about animals, but I loved the twist of caring for supernatural creatures such as dragons. The story was interesting, for both boys and girls and, as a teacher, I can see numerous opportunities for activities based upon the book. I thoroughly recommend this wonderful little book and cannot wait to read Book 2 - The Unicorn's Horn.
on 28 August 2014
My 7 year old daughter and 5 year old son absolutely loved this first Hattie B adventure. She thinks Hattie is 'outstanding', loves the descriptions of Bellua and would very much like to meet the magical creatures for herself. Their only criticism - more wonderful pictures please!!
on 26 August 2014
Lovely story, my 2.5 year old daughter was totally hooked and we read half of the book in one sitting! Likeable characters, lovely adventures, just the right amount of illustrations. I would highly recommend.