on 11 January 2018
The author does a great job of outlining the strategies so called 'compliance practitioners' in the political, science, criminal and business worlds use to influence and persuade everyday people.

There is a large amount of information included, however the author is careful not to use jargon or esoteric language, so I found it very easy to read and would expect most people to be similarly able.

Considering the nature of the subject I would have preferred a more instructive direction from the author though, outlining theories is great but he needs to include more examples of their use in the real world.

4 stars - well written, intelligent, engaging and informative, only lacking more meat on the bones and tighter structure with regards concepts and usage.
on 14 May 2017
Unreadable quality - tiny font - poor quality paper - shame because it is a great book - I also got in on Audible
on 26 January 2016
A fascinating read, if a bit dry at times. It really makes you think about the marketing that is aimed at you. It makes you question the "great deals" you have got in the past and the ones currently on offer to you (a great money saving device!) It can lead you to feel quite cynical about the way companies (and some individuals) behave. But if you step back a bit, the book gives you the tools to defend yourself with (or approach others with - if you are a marketeer!) and helps you make more informed choices.
Some of the samples are so small that statistically the assertions are difficult to back up, but if you put that to one side you can believe the experiments would get results in the stated direction.
on 28 May 2014
The book took a lot of effort to get through. Much of it applies more to American marketing psychology which is very different from that of the UK. I had to skimp through bits that got me bogged-down in topics that were a. not relevant to my interest or b. over-stating the point or topic being covered, indicating to me that it was written with rather too much 'padding'.

However when I skipped to parts that I was interested in, the topics were quite enlightening. It certainly highlights the vulnerability and gullibility of 'the public' that is exploited in a scurrilous manner by so much of the commercial and corporate world. I helps to know what tricks they use in order to be a jump ahead of them if any should try such tricks against us. I would say it was useful but in a limited way. Interesting in parts. Perhaps not quite as revolutionary as the old 1960s "How to win friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie but in my opinion it's a modern day upgrade on the ethos contained in that book, but with a lot of the sexism updated to be more politically correct for the 21st Century. It was good value certainly.
on 28 October 2016
This book questions the value of experiments on small samples of students and then proceeds to base most of its conclusions on such small samples. Third level students in the samples certain US universities are hardly representative of the population, either statistically or culturally. When he strays into negotiating tactics I found his conclusions reflected a social psychology perspective, and as an experienced professional negotiator myself, I judge his negotiating advice to be too simple or indeed naïve. As a popular book on Influence and persuasion it is overly detailed and could be condensed into less than 200 pages. Still nothing yet to beat Aronson's classic on social psychology. This is a book on small issue tactics.
on 8 January 2014
Whether or not you'd choose to use techniques of subtle manipulation on others it's certainly essential to know how to recognise how they are being used on you. Professor Cialdini has a highly interesting and readable style which makes this not only a useful book both for sellers and for buyers but also a very enjoyable one also.

I will say that the illustrations in the original are a bit low quality in the print - I also have two Russian translations of this book (because it makes a great course book for advanced English teachers - as it is translated into most languages, foreign students can avoid the dictionary as well as use this book to learn something helpful for all via English) and one of them was more than a translation but has additional cartoons and illustrations not in the original, and that added something. The publishers should look into beefing that side up, as apart from anything else the reproduction quality of some of the images leaves something to be desired. It's a minor quibble, but I may as well make that constructive criticism in the hope that the decision maker sees it.
on 15 July 2016
While Cialdini's 'Influence' is certainly not the only worthwhile book to discuss influence and persuasion in deeply practical terms, there is certainly no doubt (or lack of merit) to it being pre-eminent. In my experience, if you ask anyone involved in sales or marketing to name a book about influence or persuasion then this will be the first one they name.

Cialdini perfectly manages to combine the scientific and academic depth of the topic with incredibly practical real-world application. No single book is going to transform you into some mesmeric machiavellian master, but this book absolutely will make you better at persuading and influencing others in their decisions.
on 2 October 2015
Bought this on a whim. It's easy enough to read and written in normal everyday language but I did find it to be a bit basic and self serving. I persisted in the hope that I would read something I "didn't already know" but it never happened so I soon got fed up with it and put it aside. I doubt I'll go back to it. Would be useful for someone who really doesn't have the foggiest idea about what makes people tick or what motivates them, or how experiences and every day life impacts us and those around us and has zero knowledge and understanding of psychology overall.
on 12 August 2013
I bought this book relying on some productive review about it and after watching a YouTube clip interview on the author. It's an academic book and very informative and practical.
I love the way the author support his hypothesis with valid examples that I could easily relate with. Reading this book will open your understanding to why you probably always says yes even when you mean no, or why you do buy what you don't need with the money your don't really have!
I am still reading it and do re read over again so that it would be part of my philosophy for life - it's better to learn the art of influence especially the social influence, if you don't, others will do anyway. No one is immune from the weapon of influence on a daily basis.
on 28 September 2013
How do we think? What are our weak points when it comes to dealing with sales professional? What are the buttons they can see and press, but that we don't even know are there? Dr Cialdini effectively describes the 6 key points he says compliance professionals (sales people) use: reciprocity, social proof, commitment & consistency, liking, scarcity and authority.

He offers examples that we can relate to, an understanding of where these might have come from, and ways that we can identify them and if not make us totally resilient, at least give tools to mitigate the effect they have on us. This is an excellent book - a pleasure to read while still providing useful, comprehensible and rigorous insights into how we work.