Format: Hardcover|Change

on 6 June 2014
Woo hoo! Harriet Manners is back in a gut-wrenchingly hilarious third book!
Harriet has a simple plan for the summer:
Get exam results
Go back to school
Phone Nick regularly
Avoid Alexa
But then her parents throw the bombshell at her and Harriet has to give up everything she loves... the Manners are moving to NY!
This book, as well as being funny, is also quite serious. Harriet hasn't seen her boyfried since, like, FOREVER, and she can't wait to see him again. But when Nick forgets her birthday, Harriet begins to wonder... is her boyfriend really who she thinks he is? Has she romanticized him?
Throw in a new modelling job, an over-eager teen stylist who disapproves of Nick, a boy who seems almost too good to be true, and of course the ridiculous antics of Wilbur Evans, and there you have it.
Geek Girl Book 3, Picture Perfect.
Enjoy!
on 9 December 2014
Review: another hit from holly Smale, I love this series and couldn't wait to get my hands on this one, plus it was in beautiful hardback. Now that does mean that it doesn't match my other GG books but it is gorgeous and has some beautiful glasses on the actual cover itself, not that we judge books by their covers of course!

This story starts with a bang just like the others and the rest of the storyline carries on from there bringing mishaps and mayhem all the way through. There are some genuinely laugh out loud moments, as we can expect from this writer, but also some real aww moments and some times where Harriet gets herself in a fair amount of bother! The wonderful thing about this particular storyline is that it's all set around New York which makes for some fab NYC moments and a bit of romance on the Brooklyn Bridge too!

Harriet really excels in this latest novel. She is about to turn 16 and this really is a coming of age novel for her. She is still just as clueless when it comes to real life, despite her head for facts and figures but over the course of this novel we see her rebelling just a little bit more. I really liked her for this and it made for some excellent comedy moments! Nicks really comes into his own in the book too, he features a lot more heavily and is a bit of a grounding influence when it comes to Harriet. Of course Wilbur returns in this book, we love him and it wouldn't be the same without him and Harriet's parents also play a slightly bigger part this time. Because most of the novel is set in New York, we don't see as much of Harriet's friends from back home but they are ever present on the end of a phone, or in emails sent back and forth-lovely!

Overall this was just a really fun read. With a Geek Girl novel you know you are going to get some really funny moments, almost slapstick comedy but with a strong moral message and a strong feminist message as well. Harriet seems to be struggling with the feminist issue more in this novel, but it really comes through in the end. The book is well rounded, pacey and just a really good read. I think it would work as a stand alone but it would definitely recommending reading the previous two books first because they are both awesome in themselves!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 8 August 2014
3.5 stars.

Harriet is still Harriet - kooky, eccentric, loveable.
But this time the formula is starting to wear.

Set soon after the second book, when our adorable heroine has quit modelling. It's GCSE results time. Harriet and her friends are all nervous about their futures. But where is Nick on Harriet's important day? And why are her parents putting their belongings in boxes?

Her happy little world is about to get turned upside down. And just how Harriet copes with it is what readers of this series will be keen to see.

Except it felt a bit forced to me. It's 400 pages but it feels like very little actually happens. Alexa does her usual and initiates problems for Harriet. Nick hardly appears, smoulders from across the world and leaves Harriet to wonder how he feels about her (even though they are 'diary official' boyfriend/girlfriend). And you thought her modelling career was over? Well, where would the books be without her clumsy attempts to infiltrate the fashion world with her factoids and terrible dress sense?

Everything makes it's check listed appearance. And I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it. I love Harriet. And I always learn lots of interesting facts from these books. But it felt almost like half a book, and bitty. We see her friends, her family, a tutor plot, a secret modelling assignment, boyfriend trouble, but it's all quite quick and fast-moving from one to the other. Harriet learns some lessons (with sudden moments of revelation after some quite stunningly naive and suggestible decisions) and stumbles uncannily back to where you want her. The plot comes to an end when I thought it was just taking off.

I have to say, I just love Harriet's parents. They are my favourite characters. I want them to be my parents! A wonderful double act who could have their own spinoff. Toby is underused this time around, as is Nat. And Nick is just eye candy really (and also unrealistic in one sense - he's seventeen and never pushes Harriet beyond a kiss? Shows the age of the intended market I think). But he is sweet.

Anyway, those are my rambling thoughts. I love Ms Manners. I will probably still read book 4 as there are many aspects I love about this series. I recommend it to library readers already, aged 11-14. And I think it has a lot of merit. But it's not the best of the series.
on 13 March 2015
It’s been a while since I lost myself in Harriet’s world. Oh, how I’ve missed reading about Harriet. She’s just so darn normal and easy to relate to. Holly Smale really is a terrific writer and she deserves every success with this series.

Picture Perfect follows Harriet’s adventures in New York, after Harriet and her family have to move there for her father’s job. Harriet ends up landing a modelling job, but modelling in New York is a completely different experience. Harriet feels alone, her friends are back at home and her boyfriend Nick seems to be distant from her despite being in the same country!

I’m trying not to say too much, as it is best left for each reader to enjoy. What I will say though, is I love how Harriet is growing as a character. She’s still recognisable as our lovable Geek Girl, but she’s changing, she’s maturing, she’s rebelling! Harriet Manners is one of the most real characters I’ve read about. Any girl could be Harriet and I think this is what makes this series such a success.
on 25 June 2014
So far I have read every single book in this series I think they are all absolutely amazing and educational at the same time because the amount of new facts that are in this book is extraordinary. Please read!!
on 22 June 2014
Fantastic book, more adventures and oopsies with Harriet Manners. Just as good as the first two books. I suggest reading them in order otherwise you really won't follow. Highly recommended to anyone age 12+.
on 7 October 2014
I haven't read this book myself, but my daughter is loving it. My daughter likes to read but only when a book engages her and this one does. Otherwise getting her to read, can be a real battle!
It is an easy read for quite times after homework and before bed, she loved the previous 2 books in the series as well. It is a continuation of Geek Girls adventures, but this time her travels are not for modelling.....
Its a fun book for that in between age, when they are too big for kids books and not quite there for teenage books.
on 12 October 2014
I've read the hole series in about a month and I've loved it the only thing is I can say MAKE MORE GEEK GIRL
also I'd like to thank holy smale for making me happy when I was down and making me feel I was in the story

many thanks for keeping me entertained at hope you make more books :)
I have read the first two books in this series and I have loved them both. But this one is the best book ever. Love, friendship and shocks all come in this daring tale. Harriet Manners is still the geeky teenager she was but this time she feels grown up. Unfortunately for Harriet things don't go according to her plans. As I said before, I loved this book and I hope Holly writes another Geek Girl book!
on 28 June 2014
Geek girl picture perfect is an emotional roller coaster of love sadness happiness annoyance and anger . Overall I think this book is a great novel with a fantastic storyline. I rate this book five out of five stars in my opinion this book is for ages ten plus