TOP 500 REVIEWERon 7 March 2017
One of my all time favourite Agatha Christie novels (also a favourite in audio version and film). Atmospheric and perfectly plotted. The enigmatic Poirot aboard the Orient Express (what could possibly be a better, more heavenly combination!) - no relaxing sojourn for him! Technically brilliant, M.Poirot tackles each passenger involved, in turn, in an effort to find the truth. In wonderful form, he solves the crime with a magnificent denouement. A varied bunch of characters - some gloriously over the top. You will be transported back to the Golden Age and it's not to be missed. Each time I read this novel I'm there..on That Train! (Do try the BBC dramatised audio book too if able, it's atmospherically stunning and extremely well performed). A must for your collection.
on 16 March 2017
Having just read Poirot by David Suchet I thought I would give one of the books a go. It wasn't a bad read and I spent the entire thing imagining Poirot as David Suchet which wasn't a bad thing. Apparently all the clues are in the books you just have to be savvy enough to spot them... which of course I didn't really but I did enjoy the read. Set on the Orient Express obviously I then googled trips on the Orient Express and nearly fainted at the price ! Good read and if you haven't read any Poirot it's a good one to start with.
on 21 August 2017
I read this because it was a Kindle daily deal (can't beat a 99p book) and because people reviewed it saying "if you've never read an Agatha Christie novel, this is a good place to start" - Agatha Christie is a famous name in crime novels, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. All throughout the book I was picturing David Suchet as Poirot - it was hard not to!

It was an interesting read. Having never seen Murder on the Orient Express I had no idea whodunnit and so the whole case was a mystery to me. I enjoyed the way Agatha Christie wove the tale, creating links between characters slowly until the ending - which was a surprise, and I'm still not sure if I'm happy with it.

The writing was easy to follow, which was a surprise to me considering it was written in 1934, it reads like present day language! The only clues you have that it's an older book are countries mentioned that no longer exist, e.g. Yugoslavia. It was very easy to read and overall a very enjoyable novel.

I'd recommend it to people who like watching shows like Sherlock and Jonathan Creek, you know the type of shows - where links only become apparent when the main character explains why they're apparent - you wouldn't have thought it a link otherwise.

It's a good book to get lost in for a few hours, and I'll be looking at getting other Agatha Christie novels in the future. This one has definitely stood the test of time.
on 5 December 2017
I read numerous Agatha Christie books when I was younger but not this one. Having just seen and enjoyed the recent film I was keen to read the book.
The first thing that surprised me was how fresh and fast paced the writing was considering the book was written in 1933. Certainly an easy flowing read that set off at a cracking pace. However had I not just seen the film I might have found the middle section of the book, where Poirot asks each of the passengers the same question a little tedious.The element of suspense was lost as I knew the ending but it was still fun to follow the clues. I did find the clues a little obvious, far more so than in the film but again that might not be a fair assessment having watched the film.
A smooth, enjoyable classic mystery.
on 13 November 2017
Bought as a gift for my Aggie Chrissy mad mother - She loved it. Didn't quite believe me that it's the whole novel but think she believes me after 10 minutes silence upon opening the present. It's really quite a smart idea! We put it in a thin black frame like the pictures (not included) and it really sets it off. It now hung in pride of place in the living room
on 29 December 2017
Please note that this review is for the quality of the product and not the story. I ordered the limited edition facsimile edition, expecting somewhat decent quality but boy oh boy was I wrong. The only thing good about these book is the print of the original cover and that is. The quality of the paper used is sub par at best. The print quality of the font is inconsistent. The first few pages are dark. Anybody who maintains a library of their own or wants to purchase something that is worthy of of preservation, should avoid this copy. Beware!
VINE VOICEon 19 May 2014
One of the most famous Christie novels, this takes place in an archetypal cut-off environment, a snowbound train in the Balkans in the inter-war years, with no means of communication with the outside world. The ratiocination and simplicity of the prose is as smooth and satisfying as ever. However, I did not find the final resolution of the murder at all plausible, so this soured the ending for me. One other feature that amused me, but which jars now, is the readiness to believe that different nationalities are all of the same type - so an Italian man is suspected because the murder weapon is a knife that suits their hot Latin temperament, unlike that of an Englishman or American.
on 3 February 2018
I decided to work my way through all the Poirot novels after receiving one in December and enjoyed it so much.
I have read some many many years ago and still have yet to come across another author whom can weave the plot and characters together in such a way that you would need a fishing trawler to get rid of all the red herrings in her stories .Their are some authors books which are perceived as classics and I would put this novel in the classic category.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 October 2012
Murder on the Orient Express is THE book by Agatha Christie that everybody (even those who don't or even can't read) has heard of. It is by far her most famous and most probably the most read of her works.

I went in with high expectations due to the fanfare that followed this title. I fully expected to be disappointed to a degree, but can honestly say that I was not. The novel forever had me questioning how such a crime could be carried out under the circumstances that were laid before the great Hercule Poirot. Blissfully, I had never read this and had seen none of the tv adaptations of the Poirot novels. So I came into this as a blank slate and was scratching my head looking for an answer throughout.

Personally I believe that Murder on the Orient Express deserves its fame and the large readership that it has gained. If you have yet to buy this book, I hope my review has gone some way in persuading you open your wallet and flex your debit card.
VINE VOICEon 21 January 2011
You are on one of the most famous trains in the world, on one of its original routes when it hits a snowdrift - what do you do? You throw in a dead body and the world's most famous Belgian detective and you have `Murder on the Orient Express'.

This is one of Agatha Christie's finest stories featuring Hercule Poirot. After the first night aboard the Orient Express, the passengers wake up to learn one of them has been murdered, stabbed twelve times in rather curious fashion. Poirot is asked by the director of the company to investigate what has happened and find out the truth. The twelve other passengers do not know each other, but do they know the victim? Poirot endeavours to find out the truth and uses his charm, wit and `little grey cells' to discover it. Christie cleverly separate the book into three parts the facts, the evidence and where Poirot "thinks" this breaks the book down into not just manageable parts for reading but concentrates the reader on each possible suspect presenting everything. Poirot then brings us all together to come to the conclusion.

Much has been written about this novel over the years and on reviews, and I have tried to stay away from plot etc because I think it would be all too easy to inadvertently let the potential reader find out the truth before the famous dénouement . Which Agatha Christie is ultimately in my eyes famous for. The point where all those loose ends, red herrings and snippets of information are brought together. The interesting thing is, the clues are throughout the book and are there for the reader to pick up and decipher.

If you have never picked up a Christie before, and want to experience what perhaps all the fuss is about, then this is an excellent book to start. I would recommend the Agatha Christie's Poirot - Collection 8 [DVD] [2010] version for a visual that is true to the book. The ending is the same, but the only criticism (of the television version) is that it is made more moralistic then perhaps the book comes across.