Customer reviews

HALL OF FAMETOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 March 2014
James Jones had always wanted an exciting pet – like a wolf or a panther. Instead, on his seventh birthday he received a cat from the rescue centre. Optimistically, James calls his new roly poly pet Tiger, but his cat is more inclined to sleep than have adventures... However, one day, Tiger is underneath James’s bed where he takes a bite of a toxic sock that he finds there and is transformed into SuperCat! Now Tiger intends to rid the world of evil, with James as his trusty sidekick.

Using their “Tigerman” comics for inspiration, James and Tiger are soon embroiled in a mystery to discover why millions of potatoes are being destroyed by a plague of strange grubs. Will they be able to save the day, so Dad can have mash with his bangers and roast potatoes on Sunday? This is a really fun book. At just over 200 pages, it is aimed at more confident readers (approx 8+ depending on ability), but there are lots of black and white illustrations to help break up the text. Ideal for children moving on from first chapter books to something a little more demanding, it has a great, fast-moving adventure and, of course, a baddie for our superhero to fight. The next book in the series is “SuperCat vs the Party Pooper."
on 29 November 2015
Reading this story to P4 class - they love the nonsense and the illustrations - easy to read, just the right type of humour for this age/stage - many of the children have either bought the books themselves or ordered at library - a big success.
on 15 December 2014
My 9yr old grandson loved this book so I was a bit apprehensive about getting it for my 7yr old one, but a success! Prompt delivery too despite a late order before Christmas!
on 4 March 2015
My daughter had to read this book for a school book club, she read it herself and loved it. She is 8. Good little night time read.
on 29 April 2014
A relative bought this for my daughter who loves cats. My daughter likes it and thinks it's funny but I have to say when she asked me to read it to her I found it tedious, predictable and full of badly written stereotypes.

Firstly, it's clearly aimed at boys, with a boy protagonist, male cat and almost entirely male characters. All the pictured scientists are men, all the criminals are men, assumptions that helicopter pilots are all male are made. The only females are James' little sister who is looked down on, and his mother who gets to say about two sentences based around cooking and cleaning. I cringe when I see sentences like 'Professor Sprout screamed like a lady' in a child's book, I pointed out to my daughter that in fact he was screaming like himself, as neither she nor I would scream in that situation. Also Supercat is insulted by being compared to someone's chubby infant daughter. I'm the parent of an adventurous, lively, clever brave girl and find this kind of casual unthinking sexism an insult. So although my daughter has expressed an interest in the next book in the series I'll distract her with something better written that doesn't insult half of the population.
on 21 July 2015
Its about a cat and his owner James Jones, when James went to school Tiger (James's cat) went under James's bed sometimes he is very lucky to find a piece of pepperoni or something off a burger but this time he found a chip stuck to a sock, so he took a BIG bite of it thats when his life changed forever.

I would recommend this book to every one, it made me laugh out loud and the illustrations were funny too

(Review written by my grandaughter aged 9)
on 28 April 2014
My daughters age 5 and 8 both loved this book.
Good sized chapters so 'one chapter a night' works well for bedtime.
Easy to read so we could all take it in turns to read.
Looking forward to the 2nd book
on 7 January 2015
My 7 year old got this for her birthday and it has been her favorite book for a while! She gave it to all her friends to read and they all loved it too. In the meantime we also got the second book and are eagerly awaiting the release of book 3.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse