Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 April 2017
Beautifully written, important issues and themes addressed. I especially loved how she presented the experience of being an African in the West and how it was only in the midst of whiteness that Ifemelu became aware of her own blackness. I also like how she presented the internal conflict for those of us who are part of the African diaspora; too African for the West, too Westernized for Africa. It was also nice to see that for once, the girl relentlessly pursues her own success and still gets the guy. My new favourite book!
on 8 May 2017
I have never in my life felt so much a part of another person's reality, got such a clear and truthful insight into a culture so different from my own nor felt so immersed in the world of a character. I got that sad feeling when I turned a page just now and realised it was the last - that is proof of a brilliant writer. I can't wait to read your next novel Chimamanda!
on 12 April 2017
Such a great piece of literature
on 8 July 2017
Regarding the seller, the parcel arrived on time and looked intact. The book was in a great condition and did not present crinkles.

Concerning the content of the book itself, I could be a little biased as this is one of my favourite novels ever. A major part of the story concerns the still very debated issue of race in the USA. As a while European, I found many passages extremely eye-opening without trivialising the matter. Nonetheless, this is also a book about love. Love for a (fantastic and enviable) man, love for books, love for ourselves.

Thanks Chimamanda for this masterpiece!
on 8 May 2017
I enjoyed this book. It was a long read however, but I like the writers style and the early part of the book still set in Nigeria. The thing about writing is you always wish for the ending to be different but as always I appreciate the art. All in all a good read.
on 19 April 2017
Ngozi constantly challenges you to look through the eyes of others, and she helps us do that with her lively writing. Ifemelu is real and we admire her honesty and she is able to spot and strip the affectations of others, including ourselves. I paid the additional price for the audio and the accents being it to life. Fantastic book, I highly recommend it.
on 27 July 2017
This was a book I could total relate to as a Nigerian. Through her characters she was able to convey the true state of Nigeria. The big things and the small. I like the way she was able to outline the present state of Nigeria from a personal view, a view that politicians and the government refuse to see but I hope one day they will..

Truly incredible piece of literature. Nneme imela!
on 10 May 2017
Excellent read just like her other books are tho I wish Amazon wouldn't insist on more words words words words
on 21 March 2014
The end of this book came as a shock. As in, I turned the page and it was over. I liked how it ended- I was expecting to be slapped in the face as payment for my devotion, but I wasn't and I'm grateful for it.

My title 'everything' is both praise and criticism. There was so much in this book that there was ample to love and leftovers to dislike and even feel indifferent about.

Chimamanda has such an easy way with words. A way of looking behind eyes and behind actions to draw out the real meaning behind people's lives and personalities. But for me, in this book, it became a problem because a lot of time it took me out of the story - wondering if it was Ifemelu or Obinze talking or Chimamanda giving her opinions. That was the only problem I had with it.

Apart from that, the book was such a joy to spend time with and it left me wishing I had her way with words.

Here's to her next one.
on 26 April 2017
Stunning. Absolutely stunning. So few books write about real life without either glamorizing or turning it into a tragedy. This feels like a joyful breath of honesty.