Format: Hardcover|Change

on 21 July 2011
'This delightfully witty book will come as a pleasant suprise to all admirers of these ingenious detective thrillers for which Agatha Christie is famous. It tells the story of the amazing adventures of two amateur detectives - Tommy, a remarkable young man of thirty two, and his equally remarkable wife, Tuppence - who follow the methods of famous detective heroes, such as Sherlock Holmes, Inspector French, Roger Sheringham, Bulldog Drummond, Father Brown and even Monsiuer Poirot himself. Problem after problem comes before them for solution, and the account of their endeavours to live up to their slogan "Blunt's Brilliant Detectives! Any case solved in twenty four hours!" Makes delicious reading.'

The above paragraph came from the back cover of my copy of Partners in Crime. I have repeated it here because firstly, I don't think that amazon have written the whole of it under the book description, and secondly because I think it gives a really good account of what is to be found in this book. Partners in Crime is not typical of other Christie works in my opinion because it isn't a nail biting thriller with a complicated plot. It is a series of short stories and although they are based on mysteries to solve, they rely heavily on humour. The characters play around with the serious subject of crime as if it were a game. They adopt accents, mannerisms and props of a famous detective or duo everytime they are given a case, even to the point of silliness. There isn't a thick plot to dig your teeth into, or detailed characters to disect, although the mysteries certainly show Christie's clever streak within them.

I really like this book, because I find it funny, light and interesting, but it wasn't what I was expecting. The characters lark about and do not take their cases or themselves seriously and that is something to be aware of when you are choosing whether or not to buy this book. If you buy this book looking for something light hearted then you are in for 'a ripping good time old bean' but if you want suspense, thrills, and a gritty nail biting journey, then maybe this isn't the right one.

I would highly recommend Partners in Crime as a fantastic and funny collection of mystery stories.
on 31 October 2010
This isn't the best of the Tommy and Tuppence books, but in my opinion the negative review is too harsh, especially as it savages the characters, who I think are Agatha Christie's best creation. If you want to be completist, this book is worth reading to have the full set, but anyone who hasn't yet met T and T should probably read all the others first. I don't think this book deserves the 5 star reviews any more than the dreadful negative review, but it's the weakest of the 5. It's entertaining enough, but just poor by comparison.
on 10 November 2013
I came to realize that these characters existed in their own right a short while ago, so felt compelled to read their stories. This is much better than the way the characters have been incorporated into stories with other Christie characters in recent TV adaptations. This book is a collection of short stories. I am now reading the next in the series (N or M) , which is a full length novel.
on 30 September 2010
I'm not as devoted to the Tommy and Tuppence series as Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple, but this is an entertaioning read. Christie is an absolute classic, although some of the statements uttered by characters are, if I'm being kind, rather dated. Well worth owning, reading and cherishing.
on 16 October 2013
Best fun and crime solving from the partners in crime! The queen of crime writting does not dissapoint with this collection of short stories.
on 12 December 2014
an entertaining romp through several juiicy mysteries with an overall storyline keeping you going from one to the other.

Tommy and Tuppence keep parodying different detectives from literature (some I've not come across before) and that adds to the light-heartedness of this book.

I can imagine Agatha Christie having a lot fun writing this book!
on 9 June 2012
This book was an enjoyable, light-hearted read. It persuaded me to purchase the other Tommy and Tuppence books but this one was the best.
on 28 August 2015
Typical of Agatha Christie to vary the plots in these great short stories which are ideal for those who read before going to bed. The rapport between the couple is very endearing. I chose this because of the TV show, as I had read the book many years ago and the story on the TV didn't seem familiar, it has been changed quite drastically and to my mind not in a good way I much prefer Agatha Christie's version of events!
on 7 July 2014
My first Tommy and Tuppence book - have since read all the others (what does that say about me and this?)
on 30 December 2014