Hier klicken Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now flip flip flip Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

Customer reviews

Kingdom by the Sea (Essential Modern Classics) (Collins Modern Classics)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 September 2015
Fantastic read. It felt like you were there with the lad when his home got bombed. He ran away rather than be sent away, then joined up with a German Shepherd Dog. It follows their adventures and the nice (and not so nice) people they met whilst living rough. Good ending too. This book was purchased for my 12 year old grandchild, but adults who like a nice uncomplicated read will like it just as much. This is the second book by Robert W I've read. The other, Yaxleys Cat, was very different and I couldn't put it down. He is my new favourite author and I am looking forward to reading many more.
on 16 December 2017
Robert Westall doesn't fail to entertain. This was recommended by a friend who taught in mainstream. I teach in ASN and needed a new WW2 novel for my S2. I read to my class as I had the only book - this allowed me to be selective and stick to the main story. They listened and thoroughly enjoyed it! A colleague did the same thing with an S6 SLD class and they lapped it up.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 10 June 2014
I read this book I think in primary school and was having trouble finding a book to read one evening on the Kindle and came across this and thought what the hell will give it another go 25 years later.

The book read just as well as a adult as it did when I was a child it is very well written and ok it's certainly not taxing to read it is definitely beautifully written and has plenty of highs and lows to keep anyone gripped.

I can't imagine anyone not liking this book as it is such a good story and so well written and not just for kids / teens.
on 1 October 2013
I hope Robert Westall comes back into fashion soon. I love these books. This is a WW2 story of a boy whose family home is destroyed in the blitz wandering up the Northumbria coast with an equally lost dog as his companion. The story interweaves with the people he meets on the way, friends and enemies, many with tragedies of their own. Lovely book.
on 2 June 2017
This maybe a children's book, but good read for adults, especially if you are familiar with the Northumberland coast. I did this book as a class reader with a group of 11 year olds. we all loved the story and they didn't want me to stop reading.
on 26 August 2014
This is a well crafted story and for me, totally believable . Harry's experiences following his family home being destroyed during an air raid when his family were killed are well described without sentimentality . The ending was quite unexpected.
One person found this helpful
on 25 August 2012
As a trainee teacher in English Literature, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was hooked from beginning to end and found it near impossible to put the book down each time I opened it. I would recommend this book to children and teachers who are currently in Junior school. The story-line is gripping and very exciting, showing all the highs and lows which this boy encounters after the tragic bombing on his family home. A truly insightful read!!
on 25 June 2017
Robert Westall at his best
on 16 December 2014
Absolutely love this book....first read it at school nearly 20 years ago and its just as brilliant as I remembered.....a must read for all ages...really quick delivery too!
on 14 October 2013
constantly surprising, never patronising. a teen novel with some challenging themes. a real gem for 12 to 14 year olds