Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 November 2015
Oliver Jeffers is a creative, brilliant author that really shows his amazing imagination through his books. The beautiful child-like innocence and awe we used to have is something he perfectly portrays in his writing and illustrations.

My dad had multiple heart attacks a few years ago and I felt that pain of almost losing someone. I was honestly convinced he wouldn't survive. It was painful and reading this book brought back all those memories. Yet, it also gave me this sense of... you know what? It's hard to describe the feeling it gave me but I know it was a warm, comforting feeling.

It made me realise that while losing someone is, indeed, horrible but shutting yourself away in a protective shell doesn't help the situation nor is it something that person would ever want.

I saw myself as that girl. I live at the seaside, my dad and I are very creative and we are very close. When my dad was in the ICU having his second heart attack, I felt myself shutting down. My heart felt like it was about to burst out of my chest and I just wanted it to stop. I would have done the same thing as this girl had my dad died. And I don't think I would have been as lucky as finding someone "small and still curious about the world" like she had.

All in all, it's a beautiful story that I'll forever be reading. I could see this as a good way to teach children about rather heavy subjects such as depression, anxiety, loss and mourning.

When my mum and/or dad dies, I'll be sure to not put my heart in a bottle and will, instead, accept those feelings of loss and pain. I will get through it, and when I do, I'll make sure to treasure every memory I have of them and tell myself that they are not truly dead, because they'll live long in the memories I have of them.

Gosh, I must end this review now before I start bawling my eyes out.
on 11 February 2017
This is a simple story, with minimalist illustrations. I read it to 7 to 10 year olds and they enjoyed listening to it. Perhaps it would not be as exciting for a child to read, but my pupils are Austrian, and can manage to understand an easy text. The adult reader can always try to instill more excitement and drama into any story, to which little ones would respond. I have just watched the corresponding DVD, and this enhances the story. Visual images are always effective. I look forward to seeing the response by the same pupils.
on 3 January 2016
A wonderful book for a young child, we've read it so many times, it's lovely and heart-warming. Only a bit too basic for my nearly 4 yrs old, but every child is different (we have been reading 5-10 books every evening since she was two so perhaps that's the reason why she needs more complex stories!). I will definitely keep this book for my children and grandchildren, it's a classic and is clever, funny and heart-warming just as you would expect from the author! <3
on 22 August 2016
Really beautiful. I bough this for my friend (age 36) who was going through a tough time and has been through one. The book is stunningly illustrated with a beautiful message. Very touching.
on 20 June 2011
I love this book - it's got beautiful illustrations - both simple and detailed at the same time. The expression in the illustrations is lovely - I don't know if our 15 month old appreciates them but I certainly do when reading this to him. Having it as a board book is great as he can turn the pages and look through it on his own. The story is about how a boy (who is called 'boy' so you can even substitute your childs' name if you really want to!) tries to return to a penguin that turns up on his doorstep to the South Pole but once he leaves him there he realises that the penguin was just lonely - ahhh. Needless to say despite a terrifying moment where they look like they'll miss each other they are successfully reunited and all is well. A must have, a book I know we'll treasure for years to come!
on 16 May 2017
What a beautiful and captivating book…the illustrations are simple but so full of expression. PERFECT as a joint read between Adult and youg child …. a thought provoking book but with a good ending .. HURRAH
on 3 September 2015
By far this is our favourite book by OJ - the text is very easy to read, the stunning illustrations are adorable and really captures my little one's attention. I definitely recommend it at such a reasonable price!

We also went to the Discover childrens centre in Stratford where they had an Oliver Jeffers exhibition which is how we came across this brilliant story.
on 20 July 2015
I got this book as I like the illustrations and read great things about philosophical insights it should give your toddlers on some academic website. End result, I was enjoying illustrations, and I think my 3 year old was as well, just didn't quite capture her imagination (and that's probably only a personal response).
on 8 May 2016
I purchased this book to use in conjunction with our religion topic for the Come & See programme of study. What a super story - my Year 3 class (7 & 8 year olds) loved it and were able to recognise how losing someone special makes us sad and that finding them again fills us with joy.
Suitable for ages 3 - 8.
on 10 June 2015
It's good & it's a lovely story. My 3 year old loves the end where (spoiler!) the boy & the penguin meet again! I much prefer "The way back home" though. Just because it involves space & the moon and that interests me a lot. Getting "How to catch a star" and "Stuck" very soon.