‹ Back to Help Community

Panasonic and Amazon Instant

111 replies Sort by

By zavebe, 23-Feb-2014 16:28 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In the US, an Amazon instant video app for the Panasonic smart Tv is already available (that allows streaming direct to the tv).

I know Panasonic has been notoriously slow in developing new apps, but since this is already available in the US and Amazon are launching their new service in the UK next week...is there any news on when this might become available in the UK?

I feel like I'm only getting half the use out of both the smart TV and my Lovefilm subscription that I should be. It's frustrating. Thanks.

Thank you.

By LegoGirl, 23-Feb-2014 17:34 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to zavebe

23-Feb-2014 16:28 GMT

In the US, an Amazon instant video app for the Panasonic smart Tv is already available (that allows streaming direct to the tv).

I know Panasonic has been notoriously slow in developing new apps, but since this is already available in the US and Amazon are launching their new service in the UK next week...is there any news on when this might become available in the UK?

I feel like I'm only getting half the use out of both the smart TV and my Lovefilm subscription that I should be. It's frustrating. Thanks.

I would expect Amazon to add a full list of compatible devices here when the change happens in a few days. It's possible that new devices will be compatible.

Did this help answer the question? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By zavebe, 23-Feb-2014 18:05 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to LegoGirl

23-Feb-2014 17:34 GMT

I would expect Amazon to add a full list of compatible devices here when the change happens in a few days. It's possible that new devices will be compatible.

It would be nice to think so! :o)

1 person thinks this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Mr. Simon A. Batten, 26-Feb-2014 17:15 GMT Permalink Report abuse

They have listed them here;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/ontv/devices

Panasonic have had numerous complaints since they released their 'smart' tv's as they are severely lacking in the app department compared to the competition.
Sadly I own a Panasonic and while I loved having lovefilm for blu-rays, I switched to netflix because of the inbuilt app in my tv.

10 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By LegoGirl, 26-Feb-2014 17:18 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Mr. Simon A. Batten

26-Feb-2014 17:15 GMT

They have listed them here;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/ontv/devices

Panasonic have had numerous complaints since they released their 'smart' tv's as they are severely lacking in the app department compared to the competition.
Sadly I own a Panasonic and while I loved having lovefilm for blu-rays, I switched to netflix because of the inbuilt app in my tv.

No Panasonic TVs for the UK at this point, it seems. US Panasonic is supporting Amazon Instant Video, perhaps now they will start manufacturing models here with the ability.

2 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Mr. Simon A. Batten, 26-Feb-2014 18:26 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Its a software thing, so its really not that hard to engineer an app that can work on previous models.

5 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By LegoGirl, 26-Feb-2014 18:43 GMT Permalink Report abuse

26-Feb-2014 18:26 GMT

Its a software thing, so its really not that hard to engineer an app that can work on previous models.

True, but maufacturers often don't include new features in updates to older models, because they want to force consumers to upgrade!

Thank you.

Thank you.

By adognamedbob, 26-Feb-2014 19:08 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Lovefilm/Amazon prime is garbage in comparison to netflix anyway so why bother

4 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By zavebe, 27-Feb-2014 00:17 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to adognamedbob

26-Feb-2014 19:08 GMT

Lovefilm/Amazon prime is garbage in comparison to netflix anyway so why bother

I'm disappointed. If the app already exists for Panasonic smart TVs in the US then it shouldn't be that hard to make it available here. Smart TVs are connected to the internet, so getting a software update isn't a problem. This is starting to make me wonder about switching to Netflix to be honest.

7 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By LegoGirl, 27-Feb-2014 00:25 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to zavebe

27-Feb-2014 00:17 GMT

I'm disappointed. If the app already exists for Panasonic smart TVs in the US then it shouldn't be that hard to make it available here. Smart TVs are connected to the internet, so getting a software update isn't a problem. This is starting to make me wonder about switching to Netflix to be honest.

It's Panasonic's decision to make the app available here or not. Might be worthwhile to also send an email to Panasonic directly to ask about an update.

I sent Panasonic an email on their website to ask, we'll see what they say I guess.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Paul69, 27-Feb-2014 09:46 GMT Permalink Report abuse

I have a Panasonic Smart TV with Netflix included and a Samsung bluray player which may include LoveFilm, but to be honest, we struggle to watch all the Sky programmes that we want. I'm also so p****d off with Amazon, that I'm seriously considering cancelling Prime and switching to Newegg when they open in the UK. Hope they don't get swamped by ex Amazon customers.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Mr. Simon A. Batten, 27-Feb-2014 10:28 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Hoping that they bring the app over from the US.

However, this forum shows the chances of that happening, its been active for over 29 months and still no resolution.

http://www.forumforpages.com/facebook/panasonic-uk/viera-connect-uk-apps/1082717566/4

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Mr. Simon A. Batten, 27-Feb-2014 10:59 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Dear Mr. Batten,

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response, please note that unfortunately, at the moment, some services are not available on Viera Cast and Viera Connect. Panasonic is constantly trying to improve it's services, however, we cannot make any guarantee as to whether it will be possible to make these services available.

I trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
Alexis

Customer Service Team
Panasonic UK

6 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By zavebe, 27-Feb-2014 12:09 GMT Permalink Report abuse

27-Feb-2014 10:59 GMT

Dear Mr. Batten,

In response, please note that unfortunately, at the moment, some services are not available on Viera Cast and Viera Connect. Panasonic is constantly trying to improve it's services, however, we cannot make any guarantee as to whether it will be possible to make these services available.

I trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,
Alexis

Customer Service Team
Panasonic UK

Funnily enough, I got the exact same response, complete with the incorrectly placed apostrophe on 'its'. It's pretty shoddy, isn't it?

Thank you.

Thank you.

By LegoGirl, 27-Feb-2014 23:56 GMT Permalink Report abuse

27-Feb-2014 10:59 GMT

Dear Mr. Batten,

Kind Regards,
Alexis

Customer Service Team
Panasonic UK

I got this slightly different version as well:

<<Thank you for your email.

In response to your enquiry, I would like to explain that the applications are developed by third party companies and in order for you to benefit from the application, a contract needs to be signed between Panasonic and the company that holds the application, for each country where the app is available.

We are looking into the possibility of adding services such as ITV player, 4oD, Eurosport and Demand 5, but cannot make any guarantee as to whether it will be possible to make these services available.

Please note that Viera Cast and Viera Connect services are subject to change without notice, and that no assurance or time scale is given by Panasonic as to whether an application or feature will become or remain available.

Kind Regards,
Customer Service Team
Panasonic UK>>

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Grumpy Trucker, 28-Feb-2014 00:25 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In other words: get stuffed, we really can't be bothered. Thanks for emailing.

I only bought mine a year ago so changing isn't an option yet, but guess which brand I WON'T be getting next time.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By MoJo, 10-Mar-2014 18:20 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Amazon could just get on and develop an app if they wanted to. Anyone can write apps for Panasonic's platform. As it is I'd get Prime right away if I could watch the streaming stuff on my TV, but since I can't I have to stick with Netflix.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By nohatjim, 15-Mar-2014 21:08 GMT Permalink Report abuse

In reply to MoJo

10-Mar-2014 18:20 GMT

Amazon could just get on and develop an app if they wanted to. Anyone can write apps for Panasonic's platform. As it is I'd get Prime right away if I could watch the streaming stuff on my TV, but since I can't I have to stick with Netflix.

its a real pitty I like my panasonic tv but its not very smart. As I only update TV when it really needs it I guess I am stuck for now but it does have a great picture.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By JaneCubbiidge, 26-Mar-2014 10:04 GMT Permalink Report abuse

Amazon should develop the app for the Viera marketplace & Panasonic should be encouraging then to do so ... This is response I got from Amazon last November ...

Dear Jane,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding our new streaming app for the iPad.

Unfortunately it's not currently possible to stream titles from the
Lovefilm iPad to your TV via any sort of cable. This is a measure
intended to prevent copyright theft. We are however looking into ways of
making this possible and are hopeful of finding a solution.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by this.

At the moment the service is only available on a limited number of
devices but we are working to extend this as soon as possible.
Unfortunately, the service is not currently available via Panasonic. We
will, of course, let you know when the situation changes.

In the meantime, if you are interested in other ways to enjoy our
LOVEFiLM Instant service please visit http://www.lovefilm.com/micro/getconnected.html
which will tell you how you can connect your pc directly to your
existing TV

At the moment we are unable to comment on the availability of the
streaming service on Panasonic TV. If we find the solution regarding
this it will be posted on our website.

If you should have any further queries regarding this or any other
matter, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Please let us know if this answered your question.
If yes, click here:
https://www.lovefilm.com/help/feedback.html?r=p&e=R46d9a7e41a50b9cc9e0f55f0bfde0412

If no, click here:
https://www.lovefilm.com/help/feedback.html?r=n&e=R46d9a7e41a50b9cc9e0f55f0bfde0412

Kind regards,

Vijaya

Customer Services
LOVEFiLM.com
Let's watch another one
www.LOVEFiLM.com

Need to speak to us? Just call us free on 0800 496 1365

Get all the latest films and TV series on DVD and Blu-ray. Top up your
rental list now at
www.lovefilm.com/offers/toppicks.html?cid=lfemcs_toppicks

LOVEFiLM UK Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Number: 06528297. Registered Office: 60 Holborn Viaduct,
London, EC1A 2FD, United Kingdom.

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
To enable us to help you, please describe the problem you are having
below.

Is there any way to play on iPad & stream output to a Panasonic Smart
TV?

Also when will you release a Lovefilm app for the Panasonic smart tv?

LOVEFiLM for iPad

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM), iOS 7.0.3
828.2 MB free, 13.6 GB total

Device ID (DF60C6BF677040CF9B2C8CB6070256D1UK)

LOVEFiLM 2.2 (2.20.5088.8)
applicationFirstLaunchDate: '1 month ago'
applicationDidFinishLaunching: '1 minute ago [4]'
applicationDidEnterForeground: '13 seconds ago [4, 1]'

2013-35-18 13:35:28.3528 LOVEFiLM.UK[749] Warning: Unable to create
restoration in progress marker file

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Mrs Elzbieta Wilkes, 01-May-2014 17:00 BST Permalink Report abuse

Another person here disappointed to find there is no support for Panasonic.
I know Amazon will blame Panasonic, but it's Amazon who increased the price of Prime to give me something I can't actually use.
My computer is my study, and so I have no convenient way to watch Amazon Prime video on any of my 3 Panasonic TVs despite them all being recent 'smart' models.
When I bought the TVs I had no interest in Lovefilm so it wasn't something I looked for them to support. But now Amazon have bumped the price of Prime up I looked into it and found there is no Prime app.
I guess my only solution is to reconsider whether Prime is actually worth it now.

7 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Mr. Simon A. Batten, 01-May-2014 17:04 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Mrs Elzbieta Wilkes

01-May-2014 17:00 BST

I know Amazon will blame Panasonic, but it's Amazon who increased the price of Prime to give me something I can't actually use.
My computer is my study, and so I have no convenient way to watch Amazon Prime video on any of my 3 Panasonic TVs despite them all being recent 'smart' models.
When I bought the TVs I had no interest in Lovefilm so it wasn't something I looked for them to support. But now Amazon have bumped the price of Prime up I looked into it and found there is no Prime app.
I guess my only solution is to reconsider whether Prime is actually worth it now.

I don't think its Amazon't fault they have put Lovefilm/Amazon Prime on basically every device imaginable. I think Panasonic has a very closed UI and doesn't seem to understand that to have Apps you have to open up your platform.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By ezz, 01-May-2014 17:06 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Mrs Elzbieta Wilkes

01-May-2014 17:00 BST

I think if Amazon want to be treated as a serious threat to Netflix, they really should be making sure that all Panasonic smart tv's are enabled with the built-in application.
I've just invested quite a considerable amount in a new 65 inch Panasonic viera tv & it's still incompatible with Amazon streaming.
When my prime membership expires, I won't be renewing & I'll just stick with glorious 1080p HD streaming with netflix.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Mrs Elzbieta Wilkes, 01-May-2014 17:18 BST Permalink Report abuse

01-May-2014 17:04 BST

I don't think its Amazon't fault they have put Lovefilm/Amazon Prime on basically every device imaginable. I think Panasonic has a very closed UI and doesn't seem to understand that to have Apps you have to open up your platform.

I understand that, but I am not about to replace 3 newish TV's just to get Prime...
Instead, I have just this minute cancelled my Prime renewal. No point paying extra for something I can't watch.

I could connect up my iPad to my TV I guess and watch it on that. Oh wait... Amazon won't let me do that either.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Mr A, 05-May-2014 17:47 BST Permalink Report abuse

01-May-2014 17:04 BST

Actually, I think if you do the research as to how apps are made available on Panasonic's Viera Connect Market, you'll find that Panasonic don't develop the apps themselves. They provide all the tools, software development kits and tutorials for anyone to develops apps.

If you also read the first post, Amazon have already developed the app but it's only available in the US. Also check Panasonic's site http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/global/internet_apps/ selecting the North American region to see the Amazon Instant App - it's No.4 in the Popular Apps list!

I spoke to Amazon on this and their response was encouraging after I explained they just need to inform Panasonic to make the app available in the EU territories. BUT, the discouraging thing was when she told me the US Amazon and UK/EU Amazon entities operate almost independently and therefore there would be red tape and agreements in place that have to be re-negotiated.

It's all crap really as I'm a software developer and all they should need to do is copy the app from the US marketplace to the UK/EU marketplace.

With a bit of networking knowledge and using a proxy server that can manipulate requests before they get the the destination you CAN get your UK/EU Panasonic network connected TV to connect to the US marketplace (create a rule that changes the request URL from http://eu.vieraconnect.eu to http://us.vieraconnect.tv). The caveat is that to get further than the initial connect (the blue screen with rotating blobs progress indicator) you'll need to let the TV download the US marketplace software to the TV - the TV detects the software version is not the same latest as available in US. I expect that once the marketplace software has been downloaded, the marketplace it connects to will default to http://us.vieraconnect.tv and negate the need for the proxy unless switching back to the UK/EU by reversing the proxy rule.

I was tempted to let it do the download but was worried that my 3 day old £2400 TV would not reconnect to the UK/EU marketplace when letting it connect without the proxy server.

15 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

By Mr. Simon A. Batten, 05-May-2014 17:53 BST Permalink Report abuse

In reply to Mr A

05-May-2014 17:47 BST

Actually, I think if you do the research as to how apps are made available on Panasonic's Viera Connect Market, you'll find that Panasonic don't develop the apps themselves. They provide all the tools, software development kits and tutorials for anyone to develops apps.

If you also read the first post, Amazon have already developed the app but it's only available in the US. Also check Panasonic's site http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/global/internet_apps/ selecting the North American region to see the Amazon Instant App - it's No.4 in the Popular Apps list!

I spoke to Amazon on this and their response was encouraging after I explained they just need to inform Panasonic to make the app available in the EU territories. BUT, the discouraging thing was when she told me the US Amazon and UK/EU Amazon entities operate almost independently and therefore there would be red tape and agreements in place that have to be re-negotiated.

It's all crap really as I'm a software developer and all they should need to do is copy the app from the US marketplace to the UK/EU marketplace.

With a bit of networking knowledge and using a proxy server that can manipulate requests before they get the the destination you CAN get your UK/EU Panasonic network connected TV to connect to the US marketplace (create a rule that changes the request URL from http://eu.vieraconnect.eu to http://us.vieraconnect.tv). The caveat is that to get further than the initial connect (the blue screen with rotating blobs progress indicator) you'll need to let the TV download the US marketplace software to the TV - the TV detects the software version is not the same latest as available in US. I expect that once the marketplace software has been downloaded, the marketplace it connects to will default to http://us.vieraconnect.tv and negate the need for the proxy unless switching back to the UK/EU by reversing the proxy rule.

I was tempted to let it do the download but was worried that my 3 day old £2400 TV would not reconnect to the UK/EU marketplace when letting it connect without the proxy server.

Calm down, this is a discussion page not the Spanish Inquisition. Also I don't think anyone really cares that you spent £2400 on your TV.

3 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? Please try again.

Thank you.

Thank you.

If you find this content inappropriate and think it should be removed from the Amazon.co.uk site, let us know by clicking the button below. This will be sent to Amazon.co.uk, and we will take appropriate action.
Thank you for your feedback.
There was an error with your request. Please try again.
Answer this question

This question

Total replies 111
Initial question 23-Feb-2014 16:28 GMT
Latest reply 23-Feb-2015 15:28 GMT
Please try again.