Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Has anyone who read JK Rowling ever read classic literature?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-128 of 128 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2008 12:49:13 GMT
L. Sidwell says:
Wow. Thats a pretty long and descriptive post! I really felt the need to comment on it. I have read many classics (although I believe that who decides what is a classic is dependable on the person alone) during my school years and in recent years, but I cam considered a 'reader' and enjoy a wide variety of books. I do however have many friends and relatives that couldnt even tell you what Pride and Prejudice is even about let alone have read it! many of them are interested in Harry Potter though and through reading these fantastic imaginative books they have taken to enjoying reading and looking at more of the 'so-called' classics.

I really do think that JK Rowling deserves every bit of praise for making a generation of children (I say children because lets not forget that is who she originally wrote for) get off their computer games and other modern entertainment and actually read a book, and lets face it, The Order of the Phoenix is no mean feat to read if you are not naturally inclined to read a book.

In short, yes I do believe that the books are completley brilliant and the perfect way to escape the stress of real life for a while. She is a wonderful writer and I look forward to reading The Tales of the Beedle Bard.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2008 21:45:12 GMT
actually you would b suprised i grew up with tales of harry potter, but also shakespeare, mary shelley edgar alan poe, charles dickens ndmany more, the art of a good author is to take their reader into another world, one in which they create, the effectiveness of that depends hghly on detail and believability, at the end of the day just because an author writes about something that isnt real it doesnt mean they cant make it believeable. authors such as mary shelley and bram stoker etc were authors of the best at their time and i believe j k rowling is one of the best in her time. j.r.tolkein for intance brought to life the lord of the rings which then became popular films. j k rowling is very dedicated to detail down to drawing sketches of the doorway to diagon alley etc its such small details that make reading harry potter an adventure, reading his tales growing up i felt like i was growing up with him and many of the issues he has are part of daily life and being taken into that world of magic whether true or not is a dream she created that and that is why i feel that she is an acomplished writer. charmaine age 20

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2010 23:06:34 BDT
J. Vickers says:
Yes, I have read the classics; I especially love Dracula.
I also think that you're a bit of an idiot. Would you like to know why?

Firstly, I'm pretty sure that J.K knows what 'skilful' and 'demented' mean, because I'm sure I've seen her use those words in interviews and in the books.

Secondly, your comment of her having a 'lack of imagination', is also inane (now do you know what that means?) She evidently does have an imagination, let me give you some examples, the Room of Requirements, Quidditch, moving staircases, moving pictures/talking portraits, the dozens of spells, the descriptions of places like shell cottage and the Ministry of Magic, etc. Does this sound like someone who has a lack of imagination to you? If it does, then you either haven't read the book properly or read it at all, OR, and get this one, it's a personal favourite of mine, you HAVE read it, but because you are so determined to hate it, you haven't given it a chance. I know people can be like that, because I have a friend who is, she doesn't like anything that everyone else likes and she never even gives it a chance.

Also, in regards to your comment of `simplicity', the books are in some ways, `simple', but look at the age group that the books are actually aimed at, 6 to about 12. I know people over those ages read them, but that is because they are good. Simple isn't always a bad thing, it's punchy and to the point.

Now you also said `stupidity'. Let me point something out. You are stupid. Filch's first name is not `Argos', it's `Argus'. So therefore, it is not a reference to the store. It's more likely a reference to one of the Argus's from Greek Mythology. There are lots, Argus the son of Zeus, Argus the builder of the ship Argo in the tale of the Argonauts, Argus the son of Chalciope and Phrixus, Argus, the son of Phineus (which is the name of one the old headmasters of Hogwarts) and Danae, there is also one more which I think Filch if probably the reference to. That is Argus Panoptes, a giant with a hundred eyes. Yes, Filch may not be a giant, but he does see everything thing the students do, with his own eyes and his cat's.

My point is that whatever reference J.K. uses, it's a clever one, usually associated with astrology or mythology, for example, Bellatrix (star), Narcissa (based on the greek myth of Narcissus), Sirius and Regulus (stars), etc.

You also seem to think that referencing and being influenced by another author or in fact anything at all (films, etc), is a bad thing. But I'll think you'll find that most classical authors are influenced by and make reference to others work and things in general. For example, Stoker makes reference and builds up ideas about Dracula's psychological state by referring to the work of different psychiatrists. Also, other children's authors do the same thing today, Lemony Snicket, the Baudelaire's name is a direct reference to the French poet Charles Baudelaire, and Mr Poe is a reference to Edgar Allen Poe. Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials is also directly influenced by John Milton's Paradise Lost.

My final point to make, is that you don't seem to appreciate others opinions very much. Your comment is rather insulting (which is why I have replied the way I have, usually I am very polite, but you deserve to be spoken to in this manner). Especially when you say `I pity you, and laugh at you'. I think that you should be more considerate when you post a comment like this, because you just make yourself look like a moron.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  115
Total posts:  128
Initial post:  12 Feb 2008
Latest post:  13 Aug 2010