Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Learn more Fitbit
Customer Discussions > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Who got the other six copies?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 29 Oct 2008, 17:10:09 GMT
V. McKinley says:
We now know that Arthur Levine got one, which will be on display at the New York Public Library starting December 4, We also know that BArry Cinningham (her first editor) got one, which will be on display in a library in Scotland. So, we just need to track down four more!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2008, 10:20:03 BST
Last edited by the author on 11 Sep 2008, 10:20:26 BST
lionsloyal says:
I'm sure her sister would have been given one, wasn't she the one J.K first told about Harry? I think her publisher might have got one too.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2008, 11:38:50 BST
[Deleted by the author on 2 Sep 2008, 11:39:13 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2008, 20:13:08 BST
A. Harris says:
good point all the people she mentioned in the seventh book dedications and the "too you if you have stuck with harry till the very end" one is the one amazon has

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2008, 20:10:11 BST
[Deleted by the author on 14 May 2008, 20:14:58 BST]

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2008, 12:07:56 GMT
Taya says:
I watched a documentary about J K Rowling in which she talked about the book. She said that there were 6 special people, all close friends or family, who had really helped her in the 17 years she'd been writing the book and she wanted to give them a special gift as a thank you.
Rather than just buying something, she decided to handwrite and illustrate 6 copies of Beedle The Bard, each one with a unique cover and dedication for the person it was for. She also made a 7th one, to auction for charity.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2008, 15:56:13 GMT
No way they would have went to the actors. JK Rowling did not want films to be produced, or merchandise manufactured. So it would not surprise me if she did not ever meet the actors, as they are only actors who aren't necessarily HP fans.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2008, 13:13:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jan 2008, 13:14:22 GMT
G. Butler says:
I sincerely hope the actors weren't given the books- that would be a terrible waste. They really don't deserve it, and besides, this is more to do with the BOOKS than the films.
I wouldn't really like to guess who she gave them to, though.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2008, 01:46:55 GMT
Aberlass says:
Ms B Phillips: What a brilliant theory! I have been a fan of the whole JK mystery, since the start ('The Dumas Club' theory), yet I never thought to recheck the final book's dedication! JK has led us all over the world and through many centuries of story-telling with her clues, yet at the final hurdle I forgot the classic adage "a journey of a thousand miles starts and ends at home"! It really looks like you are right, and if you are, if JK has always been family targeted through being a philosopher, spiritual teacher, literary historian, etc, mass communicator on unprecidented scale (17 years she kept it going!) then this explains the whole cult following - the world noticed she could do something no one else could. The 7 books could have been about any subject (far better writers out there) - hence, it has always been the creator that is magic, not the stories. That simple - JK translated energy that we can all feel. Those who loved her most 'got' the books. Your post has finally given me peace after a long quest.
Thanks
:)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2008, 16:39:22 GMT
kenzi says:
The other 6 copies have been given to people J.K. Rowling dedicated the Harry Potter books to.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2008, 16:56:49 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 14 Jan 2008, 16:57:17 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2008, 16:56:02 GMT
Im pretty sure she gave them to those thanked in the Deathly hallows: "The dedication of this book is split seven ways" (seven Books) ":to neil, to Jessica, to David, to Kenzie, to Di, to Anne, and to you, if you have stuck with harry to the very end." Im sure that is who she gave them to, i think i heard it on the news or a podcast, not sure. It makes sense tho.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 19:33:25 GMT
Yuki says:
I presume her editor, other agent, family, friends - why on earth would Daniel Radcliffe get one? He only acted in the film!

I guess those lucky few are looking at their books now and thinking...."Ebay.....Ebay......two million pounds......"

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 18:59:33 GMT
I wonder if emerson spartz got a copy....perhaps her editor

Like these forums?? Then join us in the deathly hallows forum-still very active months after the release of the book!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 18:54:00 GMT
Oddwig says:
I bet I know someone who HASN'T received a copy: the young woman who first read the book for Bloomsbury and recommended that they should purchase it. I know her mother, who says she has received no acknowledgement other than her normal reader's fee. Can't give away names, as I haven't got her Mum's permission, but I feel she certainly deserves something but will almost certainly remain anonymous and unacknowledged. Such a shame, really...

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 18:43:45 GMT
i defininetly read somewhere that daniel radcliffe is getting one but not any other actors. i the assume other 5 will go to family and friends

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 17:38:33 GMT
P. Mallorie says:
I would assume that one of these would be stephen fry? Rowling herself stated that he was one of only five in the world to have known the outcome of the seventh book prior to the completion of DH

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 17:02:25 GMT
M. F. Light says:
Yes I dont think the film actors will be involved...
Remember the dedications in each of the Harry Potters, maybe the people mentioned there will be given them, or maybe the people that believed in her at the begining, those that allowed Harry Potter to come into print

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 16:22:43 GMT
We also know that certain characters are based on people she knows/knew in her own life, especially in her formative years here in the West Country. Perhaps some of these inspirations could be about to be thanked by a copy.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 16:12:43 GMT
Glovely says:
Probably her agent at Christopher Little. Her UK editor, whose name is Emma (blanking on surname). Her American editor, Arthur Levine. Definitely her oldest daughter. Maybe the other two are her PAs? Or maybe she's giving them to the owners of cafes that she wrote in? Jeremy Paxman?

Presumbably anyone could have bid on the seventh, but since it was going to a charity, I'm sure the auctioners were hoping for big buyers. If the book went for a 100 that wouldn't have done much for charity.

The photos show how flash the book is, but apart from the Tales as an aesthetic object I don't really see how Amazon plan to get away with touring it. Since there isn't a publisher for the book, who decides whether Amazon can do readings of it at libraries? If all they plan to do is wave it in front of millions of children's faces to show how pretty it is, that seems pointless.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 16:12:01 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 15:17:58 GMT
A customer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 15:16:33 GMT
M. Young says:
They were given to those most closely connected to the Harry Potter BOOKS over the past 17 years, so this won't be the film actors. Jo's sister and eldest daughter are certainly possibilities, as are the book editors, and her agent Christopher Little.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 15:07:37 GMT
AJK says:
Do you think so? I would have thought, one to her daughter, another to her sister, one to Bloomsbury, perhaps one to Scholastic ?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2007, 14:49:17 GMT
S. Mellor says:
The other six books went to people 'closely connected with the Harry Potter phenomenen', so I'd assume Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and emma Watson would each have been given 1 and three other people. They must be so charmed to receive something that special.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  14 Dec 2007
Latest post:  29 Oct 2008