Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now

10 February 2015
Having been a Doves fan since the beginning, and having loved Jimi Goodwin's solo offering; Odludek, I was intrigued with this new album from the other two-thirds of Doves. I'd heard snippets of The Ship on the internet and had thought it promising so I pre-booked the CD and have now listened to it three times since it came on Sunday.

I've got to say it's excellent and equally as good as anything Jez and Andy came up with in their old, more famous band. Think Jez on Jetstream and amplify it's goodness by 100 and you're not even close.

Diamond Days opens the set and for me it's probably the weakest track on the album; still poppy and pleasant but the album starts properly with the Delphic-esque The Ship... haunting, forlorn, melancholic yet utterly sensational!

The Forest comes next with just a little hint of The Mama's & Papa's and Jimi Hendrix... a swirling, late '60's guitar-fest which immediately became my favourite track on the album. After Harbour Lights, a strange Air like semi-instrumental comes Voyager 1; another epic track with soaring vocals and a great melody.

Beyond The Pines, The Wind That Shakes The Barley, Age Of Innocence and Coral Sea come thick and fast before the album's finale in Deep Rivers Run Quiet which is awesome! On the car's CD player, I was really disappointed that the CD span back to track 1 as I really wanted to hear more and more...

An excellent, excellent album that the brothers should be extremely proud of. If you like Doves or just good electro-pop-rock music Is that a genre?), buy this debut album from Black Rivers, you won't be disappointed!
9 people found this helpful