Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Explore Subscribe & Save across Household brands Shop now Learn more Learn more Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

4 November 2017
Sorry, this was not something I could get into. I had my doubts on the first page, with the sentence "The Germans had three Maschinengewehr machine guns", which just means "The Germans had three machine guns machine guns".

As I read on, I had to flip back to check that this was set in the first World War - the attitudes and language seemed much later to me (at least WW2).

These are not huge faults, but I found the language excessively and tediously coarse. Yes, they were soldiers, but not every class in society at that time, swore like troopers. I finally gave up when Michel and Henry, sent off on a week's leave and out for a good time, begin discussing women and how you would prove that you really fancied someone. The image introduced by Henri was so repulsive, that I stopped reading the book.

Possibly it will appeal more to men than to women, or possibly it is more for younger people. All I can say is that I did not find the characters sufficiently enticing to make me want to read on despite my early reactions to the writing.

Disclaimer: I received a copy through LibraryThing Member Giveaways in exchange for a review
0Comment Report abuse Permalink