Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Learn more

6 January 2018
Out of silence by Annie Ty
This is the second book I have read by Annie Ty and it is by far my favourite. I was disappointed by ‘Learning to fly’ because I wanted to hear more about the clinical psychologist, Mike and in this book he is the central character. What a great character – he reminded me of a number of colleagues, rolled into one and through the book I could see and understand him very vividly.
Annie dedicates this book to ‘those who strive to stay professional when their own world is crumbling’ and it is Mike’s back story combined with his clinical case that makes this book a real page turner. Annie unfolds both plots slowly, much like getting to know someone in therapy. Her portrayal of selective mutism is sensitive and she illustrates very well how it can be misunderstood. Her description of team working and office politics is very astute.
As a speech and language therapist I bristled at Mike’s understanding of their role and his lack of up to date knowledge about communication, but if a fictional character can do that I’d say that’s excellent writing!
I received this book for free. A favourable review was not required and all views expressed are my own.
Ann