Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 3 February 2018
This watch is excellent despite a couple of flaws.

It looks great in the slate colour compared with the previous version of the watch. No one is going to stop you on the street to congratulate you on an awesome timepiece but neither will they know your wearing an activity tracker. Watch faces look good enough and it's round, this makes all the difference.

Screen : Garmin screens are always fairly low Res and dim compared with other watches until you go outside. When outdoors the screen is always legible and if anything gets better. It could be a bit higher in resolution but not something you notice after a few days of wearing it.

Performance : Not had any issues, picks up GPS quickly and maps accurately . Counts steps well and measures your heart rate every second. Notifications are handled well and look good on the round screen. The only thing I really wanted to work was the weight lifting app. For my needs it works ok but is more of a faff than I would like. Until it automatically tracks everything I won't be using it.

Battery : I'm getting about 4 to 5 days on my second charge and I'm hoping to get about 6. It is worse than the Vivoactive before it but the feature set is worth the trade off. It better than most other watches as it is.

Overall : Really happy that it works as expected, no real bugs to speak of. It looks nice and fits comfortably. I was tempted by a Samsung Gear and Fitbit Ionic but decided on this and I am not disappointed. They all have their pros and cons.

*****Update after a month or so use.

Battery life is firmly in 4 to 5 day territory which is fine. There has been an update or 2 that have made some improvements, the main one being to the weights app. It now automatically tracks sets and reps. It isn't perfect and doesn't pick up all exercise but it works just about well enough to be useful. At the very least it's an excellent timer between sets.

I have not had any issues with the watch and still love the look and features.

I would still recommend this watch. Very impressed and for my usage case is almost the perfect smart watch.

To address some of the negative reviews. The renaming of exercises was fixed and didn't affect English language devices. I haven't had any issues with a chest strap or the optical HRM. Battery life has always been average with no major drop offs.

Everyone has a different usage case and there do seem to be some issues for them. I would call myself the average user that runs, walks and does weights and it works fine for me.

Every device has niggles for some users, don't let that put you off. Compared to the competition this is a great option.

Update 17.4.18

I have had this watch a while now and it's a dependable piece of tech. Battery lasts well, it still looks great.

I have read other reviews and people do seem to have some issues though these generally seem to be sorted by a return to Garmin.

While not perfect it is close, it hasn't let me down once in the time I have been using it. It's not a 5 star product, I would say 4.5 but Amazon doesn't allow 1/2 stars.
review image