21 July 2018
I have had many smart watches and fitness trackers. They all seem good at launch but when you have them for a few months their niggles begin to show. With my LG it didn’t have GPS. With my Garmin it wasn’t good enough to swim in and died. So I turned to Fitbit after my wife loved her Charge HR.

Design:
I like it. It says unisex but it’s quite large and probably more suitable for male arms/wrists. The band is comfortable and easily replaceable without tools.

Comfort:
I wear mine all day and night and only remove it to charge it (takes about an hour). I get approx 3-4 days out of it. No issues with redness or sore skin.

Usage:
I have tracked cycling, running, walking, swimming and aerobic exercise. It is consistent and works really well. If there is one flaw it’s hard to use the screen in the pool. But that’s the same for any touch screen device.

Music streaming:
You have 2 options here. If you use Deezer you can download playlists onto the watch. Or load on music manually buy syncing mp3 files over. I don’t use deezer. So I had to manually move files over. It is slow and painful. But once done it’s enough to keep me going if my phone isn’t around. I stored around 280 songs on mine.
If I had a choice I’d rather it use Spotify or have a choice at least. They are significantly bigger players in music streaming.

Fitbit pay:
I also like the idea of not having to take a phone on runs/bike rides. Fitbit pay seemed ideal and I am a regular user of Apple Pay. There is an issue though. Currently only 2 banks are supported in the UK. Starving Bank is online only and I’ve opened a debit account with them purely to keep £50 on my Fitbit. It’s handy. But this is one area where other android or Apple powered watches have the edge.

Phone app:
I love how simple the app is. It gives a really clear overview of your day. But drill down and you find interesting stats about sleep, heart rate and exercise. It’s stable and syncs without issue unlike my Garmin used to. The ability to add friends and if yours are anything like mine more people seem to have fitbits than other devices you can spur yourself on to beat friends/coworkers.

Overall:
I have owned over 3 “smart” wearable devices. So far I’ve had the Ionic for 7 months and it’s been brilliant. I have used it with both iOS and Android and it works great. Recommended.
32 people found this helpful