Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Explore Subscribe & Save across Household brands Shop now Learn more Learn more Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

30 August 2017
For many years my standard modus operandus for holiday travel photography was to constantly take my DSLR in and out of a bag all day. I had tried lots of bags that make the taking in and out easier but, ultimately, this is a hassle and often shots are missed due to the hassle of needing to remove the camera from the bag. The reason I was doing this was because it was not comfortable to suspend my camera (which has a weighty constant f2.8 lens on) around my neck for long periods.

Therefore, I started exploring a comfortable solution to keeping the DSLR out of my bag for long durations and came across the concept of a "sling strap". Since the camera is suspended over the shoulder it is comfortable to hold even a heavy camera for a long time. These Joby straps are further designed to make the movement of the camera from being at your hip, to being raised in front of your face as smooth as possible - in practice this worked well. At first it seems strange to have the camera dangling upside down at your hip while not in use. But you get used to it and I would advise keeping a hand on it to steady it. This is still a lot more comfortable than suspending it on your neck.

If your camera is expensive, you don't want to scrimp on a strap with this type of design - I did not want to feel paranoid about the attachment screw failing. The screw (and associated locking mechanism) feels high quality and Joby is a reputable brand. I felt as confident in the safety of my camera as when it is on a good quality tripod.

I've attached a couple of photos of myself when using it, to get a "real world" sense of how it looks.

Recommended.