Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 18 January 2016
With an introduction that launches you right into the story and brings back vivid memories of school, I was left feeling much like the main character, lost, confused and slightly overwhelmed by all the new people you're meeting. This lasted for about half of the first chapter before I was sucked into the story and realised that I was identifying completely with Gwenhwyfar (the main character) precisely because of this.
What this book does beautifully is describe and explain the world it is set in without you even realising it. You never have to read through a history or exposition explaining the background; you learn through the conversations, narrative and action of the story about the England that Gwenhwyfar and her friends and family live in.
Set in a dystopian future that you fear could all to easily come to pass, with a well-written and engaging storyline and believable, intriguing characters, this book pulled me in and kept me hooked until beyond the last page.
With the hope that M. L. Mackworth-Praed has already started on the next instalment in this series, I strongly recommend that you read it yourself.
3 people found this helpful