Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Learn more

2 August 2017
Writing this while still only on chapter 5, but so far I've learned much about Tcl that I didn't know before. To date I've used Tcl mainly either for GUI prototyping (using Tk) or to write platform-independent scripts but Tcl grows on me more the more I use it - not least because comparing like code with like, I've found it significantly faster than Python.
Nadkarni is able to do an in-depth coverage of Tcl the language simply by not feeling obliged to cover the Tk toolkit. This is a step in the right direction that the Tcl community has needed for some time now. The writing is fresh and clear and Nadkarni chooses examples that bring out aspects of how the Tcl interpreter works that other authors ignore. So far, Nadkarni's description of the Tcl interpreter is the clearest I've come across.
This is an excellent addition to the in-print Tcl literature, so much so that I'd recommend it as an introductory text even ahead of
Ousterhout's book. All we need now is for Nadkarni to repeat the performance for Tk!
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink