Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 23 September 2017
As a software developer it is sometimes easy to get lost in the myriad of technical articles and the minutiae of specifications and implementation details. Augmented Human is the perfect tonic for that!

Helen Papagiannis has done a great job with this book. It is small but it is mighty. Packed with useful and relevant content. Straight to the point.

The aspect that I like the most about the book is that it deals with the human factors of AR; the holistic potential of Augmented Reality as a solution to human problems. Of course technology powers all of this but this is not a technical tome, a history of AR, or a scientific deep dive into how AR works. There are plenty of other books available that do that.

I won't give away the contents of the book in this review, but I will say that after reading it I felt empowered to research some of the people, projects and ideas that were discussed. For example, @neurable (neuro tech for Augmented and Virtual Reality), or Doppler Labs Hear Now ear buds.

I genuinely learned a lot! As a relative newcomer to the field, many examples I had seen of AR were purely visual. Augmented Human discusses AR as an embodied multi-sensory experience.

This was the lightbulb moment for me. It connected the dots.

As an aside, I have found the Augmented Reality community, especially on Twitter to be very welcoming and engaging. They are always open for discussion and receptive to questions. None more so than Helen Papagiannis.

I read this book as a software developer and immensely enjoyed it. It is important to say though that this book does not get bogged down at all in technical detail. It is more than suitable reading for non-technical managers, AR enthusiasts, or people that just want to know where Augmented Reality is going and how it relates to us as humans.

Read it. I know I will be re-reading it soon :)
2 people found this helpful