Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Explore Subscribe & Save across Household brands Shop now The Equalizer 2 The Equalizer 2 The Equalizer 2 Learn more Learn more Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

5 January 2014
Luckily I had received a personal recommendation from a good friend to buy this book, and I simply made the purchase on Amazon without thinking about it or reviewing the blurb any further. If I hadn't done that, I might have missed out on a fantastic book.

You see this book argues against the long-standing logic of setting and chasing goals.
I've always been interested in the different philosophies, strategies, and formats of goal setting, and have had a lot of personal success with these mindsets.

So if I had read a sound-bite that this "Standards Guy" is "against setting goals" I might have quickly dismissed the book, and missed out on a great opportunity for learning.

In Derek's defence of being "anti goals" it's more so to do with talking you out of any 1-year, 5-year and 10-year goals, rather than a to-do list of targets and goals you can use to track things in your personal and business life.

Half-way through the book he had completely convinced me with his logic around the 'gaps' and 'holes' in such intensive goal-setting and chasing. Such chasing is for something always in the future, always in the tomorrows, and therefore can lead to a lot of problems with daily joy and pleasure in life.

More than simply dismissing other ideas, or arguing against other philosophies, Derek fills in such gaps with his own "standards" philosophies. It's a tremendous idea, an easy and workable format, and something that I read, learned, took and tested in my own life. It works. Simply, it works. My productivity is still sky-high, but my enjoyment and pleasure and gratitude now goes hand in hand with such productivity, giving it a real reason and motivation to continue.

There are many references to "the Now" and "being present" that ring familiar bells for readers of Eckhart Tolle and The Power of Now. I thought I had studied all there is to know about "being in the Now" and "being present" and the merits of meditation and the like.

However, as with all wisdom, you can always pick up a new golden nugget or two, and that certainly happened while reading this book.

Derek's phrasing and explanations of such "present" and "Now" philosophies delivers a very welcome and useful angle to such understanding. He also provides more than a few practical techniques and practices (my favourite being "The Triple Peripheral") to really benefit from such philosophies in your daily, practical, actual life! Deeper bonds within family and friendships, better connections with colleagues and clients, and more focus and enjoyment out of your work, pastimes and passions.

So glad I took the recommendation and didn't miss out.
An excellent book that I'm going to recommend further, and which I'll probably re-read to really cement some of the techniques and strategies.
4 people found this helpful