Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Explore Subscribe & Save across Household brands Shop now Learn more Learn more Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

11 August 2018
Used with Android phone, Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact. The user interface is a little quirky but it works.

I agree with harrietl’s review 0 April 2017 so I won’t repeat those points.

I have used it in the city and on off-road paths across large parks. I have not tried it on a day ride yet but I can see no reason that it won’t work well.

When you plan a journey there is a ‘Route assistant’. When this is on you just enter the destination and it works out, from the map on the phone, a series of way points. This works well but can not, understandably, handle off road cycle paths that it does not know about. I these cases I turn off ‘Route assistant’ and put in the way points manually. Setting a series of way points is a little awkward on Android as you have to add them in sequence whereas I understand you on iPhones you can set the destination and then add way points.

There was a recent software upgrade that allows the unit to self calibrate, it takes 30 seconds or so at the start of the ride so I no longer do the calibration procedure.

There is a ‘UI orientation’ option which simply switches up/forward on the device, you can mount the device on the handle bars or at 90 degrees on the stem.

It looks like the screen is ‘eInk’ as used in Kindles. This gives good visibility in direct sunlight and keeps the battery life long. I’m just about to recharge for the first time after 15+ hours usage.
From the device you can see state of charge of the device and your phone. It does not seem to drain the phone much more than usual.

The device did pop off my handle bars once, possibly because my DIY mount did not tension the rubber casing much. This may not be a problem for most users. I’ve added a simple Velcro safety strap just in case.
2 people found this helpful