26 February 2015
Wifi and Bluetooth connectivity, no buttons (other than a button to start bluetooth pairing). Feet for Carpet as well as Hardfloors. Stand on the scales to get your weight (in KG or LBs) and your BMI. Display is nice and clear, and unit looks pretty robust to knocks, and splashing with water. The scales work in isolation, you do not need your wifi working nor a phone/tablet nearby to use them. When the connections are then available any readings (measurements) will be uploaded.

You need a smartphone or Tablet to setup this product. No instructions except how to download the app on to your bluetooth enabled phone or tablet, and then you should follow the instructions in the App. Personally I like to have a few instructions to understand the capabilities of what I've purchased.

The initial connection is Bluetooth, but during the setup, you tell it if you have a Wifi network and it'll connect thereafter to the wifi. The initial connection to the scales took a long time (as in over 5 minutes), this I believe was due to a (silent) firmware update - sadly the app did not tell me anything about what was happening (just said connecting) so I was left thinking the connection was not working. Thankfully I left the app trying to connect and after a while the app moved on and setup was completed. I was annoyed that there was no feedback whether the scales was using Wifi or bluetooth or even if it was connected at all (I only determined this by turning bluetooth off on my phone and seeing if measures came through).

During the setup you have to sign up to a free Withings account. You can have multiple users for the one "device" (the scales), which can be associated to one account (you see everyone's weight) or separate Withings accounts (to the one "device") for privacy. The scales will try to match your weight with previous readings to select which user - if weights are too close then you get to select a user by shifting your weight to highlight the user. Setting up each user is done via the app, but weigh yourself prior to this then you can give the app a "starting figure" to match against. Any readings not matched will be shown in the app (with a date and time), and you can then assign a user afterwards. The automatic matching seems to work well for my wife and I.

I found the app (on Android) a little confusing to start with, and needed to play with it for 30 minutes before I felt I knew what it was doing. It did crash quite a few times, but worked after a restart. IT CAN TAKE A FEW MINUTES FOR READINGS TO MAKE IT TO THE APP. You refresh the app by pulling down like you do in many Android apps (e.g. google mail). The timeline section is the best place to start so you can see the times of each of the reads and (if you need to) assign them to a user.

The app is a little "polluted" with stuff not related to the scale (i.e. promoting Withings fitness tracker) - but you can easily ignore this and delete the promotional material. The graphs are good and it relates it to BMI which gives you an idea of where your ideal weight is.

I connect my withings account to a fitbit account (done on the fitbit site), and this means the fitbit account can record everything, my activity from my "fitbit charge" as well as my weight. Measurements automatically work their way to my fitbit account. This means the Withings App gets little use.

BOTTOM LINE - Good for the price. Does what I wanted it to (Graphing results). Looks good. Looks Robust. Seems to gives accurate, and repeatable readings. Shame the setup was a little confusing, but hey you only do it once.
9 people found this helpful