25 February 2019
The book is set in the near future, six years after floods have devastated Britain and whole towns and cities are left uninhabitable. Jess Dyer and her family travelled north and found a safe haven in a small village near Filey on the North Yorkshire coast. They, and the rest of the villagers, have built a safe self-sufficient community, but all that is put at risk when they see an SOS signal from a boat off the shore and allow the three men onboard into their village.

I have to say I absolutely loved this book. It wasn’t what I expected from the blurb, but I devoured it in one day. I just couldn’t put it down. The story of a community trying to survive was addictive. One of the reasons I wanted to read the book is that it is set in East Yorkshire, close to where I live and so know lots of the places mentioned, and it was quite chilling to read about them being devastated, made into ghost towns by the floods. There are quite a lot of characters but Ms McLean managed to make them all memorable, especially Jess and Ruth, and the ‘baddie’, Robert. The story is told in fairly short chapters from the perspective of the different characters. Soon we begin to realize that all is not what it seems and that some of the villagers have secrets.

This is the first book I have read by Rachel McLean but I’m sure it won’t be the last. I believe there is going to be a sequel to this book and I can’t wait to read more about this little community.
One person found this helpful
11 Comment Report abuse Permalink