Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Explore Subscribe & Save across Household brands Shop now The Equalizer 2 The Equalizer 2 The Equalizer 2 Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

6 November 2016
This is a collection of short stories that take place at the beginning of December 1941, written to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbour, but are set in locations including France, Germany, the Far East and Ireland as well as Hawaii and the US. Before reading this book I had little knowledge of the Pearl Harbour attack or how sudden and unexpected it had been, but this book has taught me a lot, which is always a bonus when reading fiction.

With eight stories from different authors set all over the world we meet many characters who all share part of their war experiences with us. Some of my favourites were the American-born Japanese school girl who suddenly finds life has become much more difficult, the larger than life American mechanic working on a contract in rural Ireland, but who is desperate to return home to enlist, the Jewish maid in Berlin, who makes a snap decision that will change her life forever, the loveable rogue in New York and the lonely Comtesse in France, living under German Occupation. However there were more whose stories were just as important and I found it was one of those books where snippets of story have remained in my mind after finishing the book. I did find some had too much going on to easily keep track of in a short story, but there were certainly some authors who intrigued me enough to want to find out more about their writing and read more from their characters.

Historical fiction lovers, this is a varied and enjoyable collection that I’m sure you will like as much as I did and is ideal to dip in and out of when time allows.

I was sent a copy of this book by one of the authors.
3 people found this helpful