Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now

27 April 2017
I got to know Jackie after she rang me one Sunday night having being given my number by her sister from the local Stoke Sentinel. Just over 10 years ago Stoke Youth were going to perform Rock Nativity, music by Jackie Trent and Tony Hatch. Jackie asked me,as Chairman, if she could come and see the production. Of course I said yes; it would be a privilege for our group to perform in front of one of the co-writers. She also offered to help a member, who was intended to go into the business professionally, with substantial financial assistance. That was typical of how I found Jackie both unassuming and generous to a fault. Her now posthumous autobiography, some of which I witnessed her writing in Menorca, gives a wonderful perspective on her life and an insight into what being an international singer/songwriter entails. From her humble beginnings as a coal miner's daughter to topping the bill at major theatres and being an Ivor Novello Award Winning songwriter, it's all there, with the ups and downs of living the dream. I'm so pleased that she managed to complete it before her untimely death, leaving us with the background to all her wonderful music. Do read it if you just like (auto)biographies but especially if you're interested in the music industry, particularly how it developed in the 60s and 70s. An excellent read all round!
4 people found this helpful