Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Learn more

30 September 2009
My response to the reviewer who said that this book only works if you live in Scotland is simple: I disagree. I am based in the Midlands of England and really found this guide invaluable to a great holiday.

Scotland the Best stands head and shoulders above its rival publications. Unlike the others, it does not simply state go here and see this, and go there and see that. If you are looking for a region by region guide, look elsewhere - or get both, but do not travel to Scotland on holiday without this book!

Peter Irvine's fantastic work is in a class of its own because he informs you of the places that he regards as best in each category. From my recent two-week trip to Scotland, I can confirm that most of his recommendations were highly credible. For instance, I visited some of the places that appeared under the headings "Famously Big Attractions" and "Other Unmissables", "Main Attractions" in Edinburgh, "Fantastic Beaches", "The Great Glens", "The Most Spectacular Waterfalls", "The Lochs We Love", "The Scenic Routes", and "The Best Castles". I was rarely disappointed with the recommendations. In fact, some of them were fantastic, such as the 4 top-rated glens, the 2 best-regarded lochs, 4 of the best scenic routes and 3 of the best castles.

There is much more in the book, such as places to eat and their price ranges, best places to stay, etc. Simply essential!
One person found this helpful
0Comment Report abuse Permalink