Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

26 December 2017
Michel, the illegitimate French President's son, forbidden by his father from joining active service in WWI, uses an assumed identity and instead joins the British Army. He teams up with soldier Henry and together the duo form an unlikely alliance. During some much needed rest and recuperation in the mountains, they uncover a German plot to destroy French munitions and are thrust back into the horrors of war once again.

Although very competently written, I struggled to fully immerse myself into this book. I found the soldiers' language extremely crude and expletive-riddled. Rather than adding to the book's authenticity, it was distracting and unnecessary. Parts were excessively vulgar and degrading - one description in particular (chapter 5) left me speechless!

The book was well-constructed and had plenty of action, although some parts dragged a little. Personally, I like to be able to empathise with the characters I'm investing my time in, but due to their vulgarity and crudeness, I found it impossible. Whereas I'm sure plenty of other readers will love the escapades of Michel and Henry, it probably wasn't the best 'fit' for my reading tastes.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink