Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 2 August 2016
WARNING: This review contains SPOILERS, if you haven't completed this season please don't read.

It took me days to finally write a review of the first season of Mr. Robot, as I was stuck with what rating to give it, between 3*-5*. Big difference. I've finally settled with a 5*, and let me explain why.

Reasons why I initially was thinking of giving it less:
As I began watching, I felt like this has been done before and is a little too "obvious" for me.
"The humble poor versus the evil rich", "The evil will fall, the good will win".

However, once you complete this season, and if you get the chance to re-watch a couple of episodes, you realise that the whole story is in fact told from Elliot's perspective. Everything we see, is what he sees. And that makes a lot more sense. No wonder most reviewers who have given this a 1* haven't watched the entire series. The uncomfortable "obviousness", such as the name "Evil Corp", is all in Elliot's crazy head. We enter a world through a very unstable character, which is so interesting and something that I have not personally seen in a while.

What made me hit the 5*:
Elliot.
He is such an interesting character that the viewer gets to see every side of. You almost want to reach through the screen to support Elliot, especially in his downfalls. This is even stronger due to the first person narrative. The twist in the end of him being revealed as crazy and having hallucinations, not being able to let go of his dad, really got me.
Elliot breaking the 4th wall was a strange surprise too, which you later get to like since it is not done as much in series. He is messed up, and it works.
Rami Malek's performance is flawless and I'm very happy Mr. Robot happened to him.

This may also be the reason why I personally found the rest of the characters a little flat and uninteresting.
Then again, it makes you question which characters are real since many things happen in Elliot's own mind. And that on it's own, is very gripping. Made me even wonder, is he in a coma? Is he in a mental hospital? Is this whole world just a hallucination? All these questions make you keep watching.
The second most interesting character would by far be Tyrell, and I'm hoping to see more of him in season 2.
In any way, I continued watching Mr. Robot because of Elliot, and I will move to the next season because of him. This is a very strong season with many things happening too quickly so I'm hoping the 2nd season will be able to pull through just as strong.

Again, this is all a personal opinion.
Many people have obviously enjoyed this and gave it a 5*, while others couldn't continue after the first couple of episodes (though I personally believe that in no way does this deserve a 1*. Come on). If amazon had 4.5* as an option, I would give it that. But round it, that's a 5*. It would be unfair to give it a 4*.

It is not for everyone, but it is a very enjoyable series and would recommend it to people. I already am.
5 people found this helpful