Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now

1 May 2019
Once in a while, just very occasionally, a book come my way which I find utterly compelling, and inspirational. Mark Collett’s, “The Fall Of Western Man” falls into that category.

My academic field is psychology (BSc Honours), and I was surprised to discover that the whole of the author’s theories are based on Freudian Psychoanalytic concepts. I was thus able to understand fully the points he was making. Don’t be put off by this academic path of the book, as Mark Collett does not use esoteric terminology and neologisms to show how clever he is. He uses everyday language which can be understood by any intelligent layman, and apart from that he spends his first two short chapters explaining the three psychological terms he will be using throughout the book, so that the reader will understand where he is coming from.

The author’s background marks him out as a “man with a past”, but he seems to have learned from the experiences of his past, and has managed to mentally separate nationalism and racism. This is a crucial ability in today’s cultural milieu.

For too long, nationalism has been the abode of people with doubtful motivation. They have focussed on race rather than culture, as the source of their antipathy to others, and thus, illogically, a person’s race makes him or her unacceptable in society, regardless of how long he or she may have lived and breathed in that society. Mark Collett has stepped out of that narrowly confined world, and focusses on culture rather than race as the source of many of our current difficulties. Collet thus becomes a sort of “thinking man’s nationalist”. This is a thoughtful book, and is a source of what could be called, “no hate nationalism”. It is aimed at those who have no wish to hate. Those who have no wish to disrespect others. Those who have a deep respect for other cultures, yet who see that mixing cultures will not bring cohesion in society at large in one cultural milieu. Note that I say “cultures” not “races”. Collett makes the point that it makes no difference what colour a person’s skin is, as long as they share a national culture.

I liked this book. It is thoughtful. There were parts of it that I disagreed with, but on the whole a lot that I did agree with, as I have always seen myself as being in no sense a racist, but in other senses a non-apologetic culturalist.

On the whole a thought provoking book, which I feel is a useful piece of the dialectic about nationalism, racism and culturalism in the UK.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink