Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Learn more Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWER
10 July 2018
This is the seventh volume of what is becoming a genuine landmark series. I love Haydn's piano music; in my view it is the equal of Mozart's and deserves to be much better known. It has all of Haydn's trademark wit and joy, but also real tenderness and beauty and a depth that marks it out as truly great piano music and Jean-Efflam Bavouzet is bringing us quite brilliant interpretations of Haydn's entire cycle of piano sonatas.

Bavouzet's admirable technique allows him to get right into the heart of the music. He articulates it very crisply and preserves the structures so essential to Haydn but uses just the right amount of rubato and subtle phrasing to convey the music's meaning and give it real character. He understands, crucially, that Haydn often said serious things in a witty way so that the depth comes through the often melodious and genial air. It is exemplary Haydn playing, I think.

With excellent recorded sound and very full and interesting notes this is another excellent disc in the series. I said in reviews of previous volumes that it won't depose my much-loved Brendel and Schornsheim recordings in my affections, but I am beginning to change my mind. These discs are at least as good as any I have heard of Haydn's piano music and I recommend them all very warmly indeed.

(I would also recommend Brendel: Haydn: Piano Sonatas (DECCA The Originals)
and Schornsheim: Haydn: Complete Piano Sonatas )
3 people found this helpful