Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Hotel Transylvania 3 Hotel Transylvania 3 Hotel Transylvania 3 Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

18 May 2016
I ordered this with the Gorillapod Zoom tripod. Not impressed. If I had the time I would be returning it for a replacement however I don't as I am travelling tomorrow and need it for my trip.
My primary reason for dissatisfaction is the poor fitting of the ballhead base to the tripod.
The Tripod comes with an adapter that allows for fitting of the tripod to either 3/8" or 1/4" threads. The Ballhead appears to have a 1/4" insert though luckily for me the outer rim of this must be threaded at 3/8"- explanation later.
Despite applying more force than should ever be necessary it is physically impossible to get the 14" screw on the Tripod to physically reach far enough into the threaded insert in the ballhead to get it to catch, It seems to be about 0.5mm short. I have removed the mounting screw from the tripod and when loose it screws in to the ballhead firmly and securely, so the thread itself is OK. The mounting screw fits to a camera no problem at all. But the ballhead and tripod don't fit together. Either the insert on the ballhead is too deeply recessed or the screw is too short on the tripod.
I have settled on it being the ballhead at fault as I have tried a few other tipod adapters I have lying around and none of them reach into the ballhead either.
As I say it should be going back ( I am well cheesed off) however I am due to travel tomorrow. I noticed the recess on the ballhead appears to have a 3/8" thread on the outer edge- not sure why but there you go- if they had threaded it all 1/4" it would work fine for me! However I have fitted the 3/8" adapter to the tripod screw and it turns about half a turn before its tight into the ball head. This leaves the ball head about 4mm above the top of the tripod. Its secure but its not stable with a camera on. So I have made some packing from the cardboard box delivered from Amazon and made a shim to pack this space, like a pair of cardboard washers. This will do the job, the camera is now firmly attached.
Real shame. If it was all better made this shouldnt be an issue as it looks otherwise a handy bit of kit. I don't normally leave things to the last minute but the tripod I did want was out of stock from Amazon and suggested it would be in stock by Monday, this week. It wasn't and I was forced to go down the route of something to do the job.
6 people found this helpful