1 June 2018
Dawn of the Witch Hunters is a Legends of Havenwood Falls Novella by Morgan Wylie. It can be read as a standalone novel, but I have to admit that having read other books in the series from the YA/NA genres set in modern times, it is a real treat to read about the origins of Havenwood Falls. In a previous 'Legends' book, I read about how the first protections of the town were put in place. In this book, I enjoyed finding out about some of the very first settlers there.

Marie Blackstone is a witch hunter, but she and her mother before her realise that not all witches are bad. She fights her instincts to hunt and kill any witches, but especially the good ones. Unfortunately, her brother Dante is also a hunter, and he doesn't want to fight those instincts, he won't distinguish between good and bad witches, he believes they should all die.

Marie secretly married a man from the nearby witch coven, plus her best friend is a witch. When Dante discovers his sister has married the enemy, he loses any control he may have had and is determined to wipe out the nearby coven, and every coven he finds after that. Marie needs to warn them and they need to flee as quickly as possible. During their journey, they suffer losses which made me tear up, but they were determined to get to safety so carried on moving. Other supernaturals joined them and their wagon train all heading to where they feel pulled to, Havenwood Falls.

I really enjoyed this story though if I am honest at times it didn't feel as if I was reading a book set in the 1800s. It didn't bother me too much though because the story was still exciting to read, and I loved reading about the founding members of Havenwood Falls. I definitely plan to read more from the Legends series because it's a perfect mix of my love for historical and paranormal books.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink