22 August 2018
It's only very rarely that I write a negative review, let alone a one star review, but this time I will make an exception. I write this after owning the scales for 5 days and having tried various comparisons, different floor surfaces and carefully checking for level. Essentially, I gave them a proper go before resorting to a refund.

The slight snag with this product is that it fails at its primary purpose, which is to weigh you. I could synchonise them to my Polar M400 without any issue, but whats the point when the weight measured is meaningless.

For comparison in measured weights, I used a half decent set of Salter scales, which cost about the same and are at most 0.2kg out. I know this because we weigh our suitcases on them prior to flying and we've never gone over our luggage allowance!

So, on to the nitty gritty.

I weighed myself. Polar Balance showed 108.2kg. My Salters showed 106.1kg. I then held a 2 litre bottle of diet coke in each hand and stepped back onto the Polar scales a few minutes later. They showed, again, 108.2kg. I left it 5 minutes and tried the same again with the coke bottles, now they showed 106.5kg!

The Salters repeatedly showed 110.5kg with the coke bottles, slightly over what you'd expect, but not by much. My correct weight is 106.0 to 106.3kg depending on the scales.

So essentially, not only did the Polar scales completely fail to register the 4kg I was holding, it also decided I was also 2kg lighter than I had been just a few minutes before.

For the type of people who buy these scales, either those looking to lose weight or athletes trying to hit target weights for competition, they are useless.

So, I was left wondering who would be able to make use of scales which register 6kg or so out within the space of a few minutes. The answer is of course, astrophysicists. I'm fairly sure that being 6kg or so out on measuring the mass of a black hole wouldn't really matter, so Polar should ideally focus there marketing efforts towards the scientific community instead.
2 people found this helpful