Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Now Learn More Shop now Learn more

11 March 2014
A good idea, to base a novel around a period in London's history that we all know so much about. So much was written and recorded about the Whitechapel murders, perpetrated by 'Jack The Ripper', that it would be easy to research, and the author has obviously researched well. My only difficulty was in deciphering the Cockney dialogue, which appears throughout. I often needed to re-read chunks of conversation before I understood what was being said. And yet I grew up in north London, on the borders of the East End. I was surrounded by authentic Cockney voices and rhyming slangs every day of my life, so if I had trouble deciphering it all, how would others, from a totally different background, manage to read it? The author, in my humble opinion, could've easily toned it down, making it much easier to read and understand, while at the same time perfectly conveying (and without compromising) Cockney dialogue, rhyming slang, accent, idioms, and so on. That's my only criticism.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink