Select Your Cookie Preferences

We use cookies and similar tools that are necessary to enable you to make purchases, to enhance your shopping experiences and to provide our services, as detailed in our Cookie Notice. We also use these cookies to understand how customers use our services (for example, by measuring site visits) so we can make improvements.

If you agree, we’ll also use cookies to complement your shopping experience across the Amazon stores as described in our Cookie Notice. This includes using first- and third-party cookies, which store or access standard device information such as a unique identifier. Third parties use cookies for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalised ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. Click ‘Customise Cookies’ to decline these cookies, make more detailed choices, or learn more. You can change your choices at any time by visiting Cookie Preferences, as described in the Cookie Notice. To learn more about how and for what purposes Amazon uses personal information (such as Amazon Store order history), please visit our Privacy Notice.

Customise Cookies

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 19 July 2016
Bought for our teenage son as a holiday read, but a snatched read of the first pages on the plane drew me in immediately. Luke could be any teenage boy today - happy in a virtual world, 'meeting up' with friends online each day, only surfacing briefly from his room for meals...Everything a distraction from the latest computer game or u-tube video.

When you are first introduced to Guy, you know straight away that he is different, and that a friendship is going to be testing for Luke, but you only realise just how different as the story unfolds. This is so cleverly written that suspension of disbelief comes naturally, and the events that follow seem entirely plausible. Fantasy and magic sit comfortably alongside vivid and accurate descriptions of everyday life of a teenager at school, a boy who moves from bully to bullied; the victim of intolerance, prejudice and misunderstanding.

I couldn't put it down, and am left looking forward to 'buying my son' the second book on the trilogy when this is out. As for my son - he's half way through already and showing no signs of losing interest. Pretty impressive, given the competition of u-tube and wifi!
Customer image
5.0 out of 5 stars Superbly written - intended for young adults, throughly enjoyed by older ones too!
By qs on 19 July 2016