Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Explore Subscribe & Save across Household brands Shop now The Equalizer 2 The Equalizer 2 The Equalizer 2 Learn more Learn more Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

25 July 2018
It's dark, gritty, and at times, uncomfortable. But that's what Gillian Flynn creates purposefully and brilliantly through her atmospheric characterisation and narration.

Of course, I wasn't introduced to Gillian Flynn until I read Gone Girl, which by the way, I loved. It instantly became one of my favourite books. I wanted more from her. This is when I was attracted to Sharp Objects. Her debut novel.

We are introduced to a Camille Preaker, a young journalist trying to make a better life for herself. Her sister Marian died at a young age and Camille has been battling her own demons. Her family is hurting and so is Camille, but she wants to focus on her career. That is until she's sent back to her hometown to report on the death of a girl in Wind Gap, Missouri, her hometown. Another girl is missing, and this is thought by her boss, Curry, to be a big story told by a local.

This is not a detective mystery where we follow the police. Law enforcement doesn't exist in this story.

Camille is investigator, reporter and resident. It's dark, it's gritty, it's disturbing, it's creepy. This is all achieved, in my opinion, from the characterisation.

The story itself is painfully slow. I actually found myself telling my better half repeatedly, 'nothing has happened'. The last 85% though is where EVERYTHING happens. It came and went as quick as a box of Krispy Kreme donuts!

To conclude, I enjoyed the way the story was told but I thought the book was way too slow.
2 people found this helpful