11 December 2017
I'm not a big thriller reader of the blood, guts and gore type - not particularly because I don't enjoy them, but because they stop me sleeping. I picked this up and read the first line though, 'Charlie cut her wrists last week with a shard of caramelized sugar' and had to carry on. So then I thought it was only fair to buy the book - and then I finished it in two days. It didn't stop me sleeping because it's much more of a twisting tale of a whodunnit, than a murder every second page. There's as much intrigue as to why brilliantly written main character, Hannah, is there at the clinic as to how and why the few deaths have occurred. The narrative voice is soulful and often with a wry overtone, and there's a great deal of sympathy rolled in for many of these troubled souls who are living in a psychiatric clinic. I did work out the ending a few chapters before the reveal but the writing is so wonderful, I didn't mind at all. In my humble opinion, readers of a good drama as much as thriller readers will enjoy this.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink