16 June 2015
This is the first steampunk book that I’ve read. I didn’t know a genre like this existed before this book. A friend of mine read the book and felt that I would enjoy it and she was right. I do like steampunk or maybe I like this one.

This book led me on a fantastical, magical world of pirates and floating ships. I felt at times that I was caught in a bit of a spin-off from the movie Stardust and I couldn’t help but have Robert de Niro in my head as Captain Bonny. And a little bit of Jack Sparrow maybe. Like these swashbuckling pirates, Captain Bonny is full of style and bonhomie and is a very entertaining character.

I know that all the characters are larger than life because of the magical setting but each of them is multi layered and interesting. Whether it is the irritating clerk, the stowaway, everyone has their own little story which melds into the whole.

There may not have been much of a plot or rather it is a well used plot, but mix it with the magic and it is raised to a whole new level. And the ending is worth the wait. I think I may be into steampunk after this book. If you’re into steampunk, read this book, you’ll love it. If you have no idea what steampunk is, read it, you’ll love it.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink