5 September 2014
Like the majority of reviewers, I thoroughly enjoyed Lavender Road. It isn't generally the kind of book I read, but having lived just off Lavender Hill, with my grandparents in Thirsk Road in the mid-50s I was attracted to the setting.

It more than lived up to my hopes, and brought back vivid memories of Clapham Common, Clapham Junction, Arding and Hobbs, all landmarks of my childhood.

Most of all it was the characters that I really enjoyed, and the way that war changed them and their lives. Social barriers fell, new friendships were born and kindness and support came from unlikely people as the people of south London united against the common enemy - Hitler.

There's tragedy, humour, romance, fear, pride, lessons in life to be learned.

A thoroughly good read, which needs to carry a warning: once you finish it, you'll want to read the sequels straight away. I'm going to!
2 people found this helpful