Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Explore Subscribe & Save across Household brands Shop now Learn more Learn more Shop Now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

31 August 2018
This arrived by amazon at 5pm yesterday. I started reading it immediately and did not put it down until I had finished at 11pm last night. I loved it.

It is similar in style to her first book (Conversation with Friends) in that the dialogue and misunderstandings between what we say and what we mean, are key factor, but the big difference for me is that i really cared about all the characters in this book. They all feel so painfully real.

Its the story of two people, Connell and Marianne, who grow up in a small town in Sligo and their relationship with other through school, and then university in Dublin.

It is one of the most tender and realistic portrayals of love and relationships I have read. It seems to me a celebration of ordinary love. The power and the pain of bumping along through life together, as opposed to any dramatic , overblown love affair.

Its story about hope, redemption, families, abuse, depression, the pain we cause ourselves and others. I loved how each character is completely drawn. Even minor characters from their school days are so well done and there is not one character who is completely good or bad, or who isn't presented with some kind of empathy.

I loved it and would implore everyone to read it. I liked her last book, but this is a huge step up for me and can't wait to see what she does next.
20 people found this helpful